Sunshine - The new danny boyle movie

by Crumpet 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I've succumbed to the awesomev trailers all over myspace and everywhere else i look and have booked my tickets. Its ages since we had a good sci fi thriller on the big screen so I am hoping its going to be good.

Has anyone else seen it yet? Anyone planning to go?

Also is Danny Boyle doing a Kubrick - working his way through the genre's making a movie in each? or am i just letting my imagination run away with me.

For anyone that needs a memory refresher his other movies include:

Trainspotting - Druggie Scottish Drama

28 Days Later - Futuristic horror

Mr Wroes Virgins - Nuns get it on and get off for a BBC drama

A Lifeless Ordinary - not sure havent watched it...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Well I went to see this last night, but frankly it was a bit disappointing. I love Gillian Murphy - he has a startling face. Clearly Danny Boyle thought so too and we got too many long lingering moments looking at his blank face and wide blue eyes which got a little boring. The camera work and cinematography I understand was necessary to convey the concept of the heat and brightness but that too got a little old. The storyline was a little weak.

There were some tense thrilling moments but they have all been done before making them sadly predictable. It was reminiscent of Event Horizon, Core, Red Planet, Mission to Mars.

Unfortunately I think this film missed the mark. Maybe there is nothing left in the sci-fi genre to portray - but I hope that is not true. Lets have more imagination and more personality added to our space age movies!

The trailers showed some promising movies though - 28 Weeks Later looks like stepping up the zombie movie a peg or two. NEXT with Nic Cage showed some stunning special effects like I've not seen before. WIld Hogs - a biker road movie with Travolta looked really funny - I don't normally go for comedy films - my life is sureal enough as it is - but this looked like a great feel good film with a great cameo by that doctor from Scrubs which I could probably watch again and again!

Anyway Sunshine only gets a 2.5 out of 5 and that I feel is generous and based more on the effort to make it gorgeously visualise, even though I felt it missed its mark. You only have to think about ALien to realise what a great movie that was in comparison to most that has followed.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Crumples,

Haven't seen it as yet, although James King wasn't too flattering on Edith Bowman's radio show yesterday. He said the film was aimed at 'chin-strokey critcs' rather than yer paying punter. Clever effects, but a claustrophobic storyline that really had nowhere to go.

tim

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I may go and see it purely because I loved 28 days later and Trainspotting, I love the sense of tension he manages to create.

I saw Breakfast On Pluto at an outdoor cinema here in Perth when they were doing an arts festival and alongside Cillian Murphy was Liam Neeson. Fantastic film with a very bizarre storyline but good fun.

I really fancy watching Disturbia, I had free tickets to go and see it last Sunday but we were busy; Has anyone seen it yet?

I've watched a couple of Shane Meadows films over the last couple of days - This is England and Dead Mans Shoes. I cannot recommend Dead Mans Shoes enough, it is one of the best films I have seen in a long time and gave me some serious flashbacks of how I lived in my early 20's. This Is England is a very good film which tackles some very interesting themes and whilst the film was based in 1983 it could have easily been today and I regularly talk to people with some pretty shocking opinions regarding immigration and race. Crumpet, you would love This is England, it's a shocking film but the way it is handled and the message it sends is one that I am sure you would appreciate.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Satan Little Helper - Shane MEadows is one of my favourite directors but I haven't seen This is England yet - I'm going to order it today and will let you know what I think. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've watched a couple of Shane Meadows films over the last couple of days - This is England and Dead Mans Shoes. I cannot recommend Dead Mans Shoes enough, it is one of the best films I have seen in a long time and gave me some serious flashbacks of how I lived in my early 20's.

Dead Man's Shoes is an awesome movie -its in my top ten of all time. I've watched it quite a few times. Its very raw, very shocking, but incredibly beautiful. Compelling and disturbing - there were scenes also that I could relate to ... its probably the best anti drug and anti bullying film I have ever seen with a twist I never saw coming. The lad who played his brother is a fine actor too that I'd like to see more of. He had a small role in the debacle that was Troy and has done a small indie horror movie called the Wilderness which wasn't bad for a low budget movie.

Paddy Considine is like Jesus in the world of acting I think. Utterly uncompromising and unpredictable. If you like him, watch In America with Samantha Morton or My Summer of Love - Indie style films like Dead Man's Shoes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit