What was the memorial like last nite (Southern Hemisphere)?

by yaddayadda 7 Replies latest jw friends

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

My country had theirs last nite.

Did anyone go? Any new points in the talk or anything interesting you care to report? (doubt it)

• Zico
    Zico

Mine was a few hours ago. I don't know if this is new. But, whenever I've gone to Memorials in past years, I remember that the speaker always spoke during the passing of the bread and wine, describing what it signified and what Jesus went through. This year we had silence during the passing. I don't know if this is a change in the outline, or the preference of the speaker. This seemed to take away time to talk about Jesus. Holding a plate of bread and glass of wine for a few seconds is, imo, an utterly pointless event, especially since the talk is mostly about why we shouldn't partake. I have no idea how the evening could be considered a good way of showing appreciation for someone.

• blondie
    blondie

zico, that is a preference. I have seen congregations who share halls where one talks and in one there is silence.

Memorials

1) crowds of people no one knows or will see again or try and see again for another year

2) some women trying to outdo each other in the fashion area

3) elders being friendly once a year, telling the attendants to do the same as if you won't notice their unsmiling faces on Thursday.

4) people who are always late are finally on time, right on the minute.

5) see people at the early one from the other congregation because they don't want to be up that late which jams the space

6) I wonder how some will arrange to see the NCAA Finals...go OHIO

Blondie

• daystar
    daystar

It's memorial time yet again? I hardly give it a thought anymore.

• blondie
    blondie

Since many people celebrate easter and passover around the same time, it does cross my mind even if I don't know the exact date.

• Mary
    Mary

Mine's in a couple of hours. I really do not want to go to the damn thing, but I promised my parents I would. I'm actually starting to feel panicky about walking in those doors......Maybe I'll have a glass of vino beforehand.......I was going to record the talk but I forgot my mini tape-recorder at work damn it. The only redeeming thing about the Memorial is that it's all wrapped up in 45 minutes thank god.

• jeanV
    jeanV
    This year we had silence during the passing.

we too, but I guess it was coincidence as the outline (till last year) did say you may speak or remain silent during passing of the emblems. as soon as I see this year's outline I'll let you know if any changes (from the talk I guess that if there were any they weren't major).

• minimus
    minimus

The last Memorial I went to was 3 years ago. The outline stated not to talk during he emblems passing when I was the speaker the year before. I remember it was oddly very uncomfortable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit