Shameless movie plug + long review with JW parallels

by Open mind 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Open mind
    Open mind

(THIS IS A QUICK PLUG FOR A MOVIE, FOLLOWED BY A LONGER, PLOT-SPOILER, REVIEW.)

I started a topic a few days ago about which movie or TV show would be good for breaking through cognitive dissonance. (Thanks for all the suggestions! ) Well, here's one that wasn't mentioned that I really like:

BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM

Now please don't go telling anyone I like this movie because, especially for a red-blooded, steak-eating DAD like myself, its kind of like saying that you like the music of ABBA.

So, if you're secure in your masculinity or whatever-inity and you want an upbeat, make-you-smile, coming-of-age movie with a catchy sound track, as well as some parallels to growing up as a dub, this gets three thumbs up from me!

(The real reason I like it is I've got a huge crush on Parminder Nagra. And yes, my wife is aware of this, rolls her eyes and is OK with it )

So, did anyone else out there see this movie and like it?

WARNING: LONG-WINDED PLOT-SPOILER REVIEW OF MOVIE WITH JW PARALLELS FOLLOWS.

I haven't watched this movie in about a year, so this will be a pretty spotty synopsis.

Movie opens with Jess (Parminder Nagra, now famouser for her role as Neela on the TV show, ER) daydreaming about scoring a game-winning goal on the soccer field with real-world soccer star David Beckham as a teammate. She is awakened by her screaming Sikh mom telling her to stop wasting her time on such things.

She wants to be a footballer, but the traditional Sikh community says girls aren't supposed to do things like that. They're supposed to learn to cook Dahl and land the best husband their family's socio-economic status will buy.

JW PARALLEL: Don't play team sports, don't go to college, be a good little pioneer and if you're lucky you'll land a BETHELITE husband.

PLOT CONTINUES: Jess plays pick-up soccer games in the park and is noticed by Juliette (Keira Knightley) who plays for a semi-pro female team. She's offered a spot on the team, but her parents say NO WAY. So, of course, she starts playing for the team anyway, on the sly.

JW PARALLEL: Extreme pressure pushes kids toward leading a double life. OK, for objectivities sake, some of this is just standard teen-age rebellion, not unique to JWs.

PLOT CONTINUES: Gotta have a romance element, so Jess falls for the white, male Irish coach of her female team. This is absolutely VERBOTEN.

JW PARALLEL: Marry "only in the lord". Otherwise, you will be treated like a 2nd class citizen.

PLOT CONTINUES: One of the best scenes of the movie is when Jess decides (is forced) to attend her sister's wedding instead of playing in her team's championship game where professional talent scouts will be in attendance. Her father can't help but notice that Jess looks she's attending a funeral. His humanity gets the better of him and he tells her to sneak out of the wedding to go quickly play the game and come back with a smile on her face.

JW PARALLEL: Some JW parents occasionally let their humanity get the best of them and follow what their gut tells them is right, Borg rules be damned. Of course, there may be reprisals depending on how well-known their non-WT approved decision becomes.

PLOT CONTINUES/REWINDS: Jess' best friend and confidante, Tony, is a fellow Sikh. Many relatives think they would make a good "match". Only problem is, half-way through the movie we find out he has a little secret: he's gay. He needs to stay firmly planted in the closet unless he wants to bring his family disgrace.

JW PARALLEL: Gay JW? Yeah right. That'll be OK the day Ted Jarascz gets a sense of humor and pigs fly. Just pray harder and stop being so selfish. You can overcome it if you really want to.

CONCLUSION: I really like this movie. I haven't hit all the plot twists or spoiled the many humorous scenes. It's not "important" or serious cinema by any means, but I've watched it three times. Just can't enough of my heart throb, Parminder.

BTW, extra big-hearted humanitarian kudos should go the director of this film. If you watch the extra features on the DVD, you'll find that Parminder Nagra really does have a huge scar on her leg. She thought she would have to give up her role in the film when she realized she was going to have to be filmed wearing footballer shorts. But the director, said 'No problem, we'll write it into the script.' Way cool in my book.

If you get the DVD, make sure to watch the Special Feature: How to Make Alo Gobi. It's a little 10-minute cooking show documentary of the female Indian director of Bend It Like Beckham trying to make an authentic Indian dish with her Sikh mother and aunt observing. They try to keep their mouths shut, but they just can't. It's hilarious.

Open Mind

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I watched it about 2 years ago. The movie is hilarious. I loved it!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Inner Smile - Texas http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yxk6kRVzNnw from soundtrack of Bend it Like Beckham

I think that's a woman made up to look like Elvis. I think her name is sharleen spiteri.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Interesting thread as usual, OpenMind. I didn't read your posts in their totality but I will.

For the moment I would like to make a philosophical observation about the movie: Indian chics are hot!

Nvr

• Open mind
    Open mind

MsMcDucket: Thanks for the replies!

I'm not usually a big fan of soundtracks, but I got the CD for this one. Even tracked down a copy made in India since it's closest to the versions in the movie.

Love the Youtube video too.

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit