A couple of "Kingdom Come" Appendix ch14 Questions

by rassillon 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rassillon
    rassillon

I have searched the forum and I have read Alan's
    "http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/refutation-of-appendix-in-let-your.html"
    I have it as a bookmark!

I have not found or maybe I am just can't focus enough to read anymore.

But I have a couple of specific questions, References or quotations of earlier works will be just fine.

Thanks in advance also.

[First]
    In the paragraph which starts on page 188 and ends on page 189 it states

But the Bible itself provides even more telling evidence against the claim that the 70 years began in 605 B.C.E. and that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/6 B.C.E. As mentioned, if we were to count from 605 B.C.E., the 70 years would reach down to 535 B.C.E. However, the inspired Bible writer Ezra reported that the 70 years ran until “the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia,” who issued a decree allowing the Jews to return to their homeland. (Ezra 1:1-4; 2 Chronicles 36:21-23) Historians accept that Cyrus conquered Babylon in October 539 B.C.E. and that Cyrus’ first regnal year began in the spring of 538 B.C.E. If Cyrus’ decree came late in his first regnal year, the Jews could easily be back in their homeland by the seventh month (Tishri) as Ezra 3:1 says; this would be October 537 B.C.E.

It speaks of Cyrus "first" year. Now is a switch-a-roo being pulled here? Did Cyrus' first year start in 539 (accession) or did it start in 538 (regnal). I know that 538 would be the first regnal year but when the Bible speaks about his "first year" would that refer to his accession or regnal year? Did the Persians count accession year?

[Second]
    Has anyone pointed out the inconsistency between the claim in the above paragraph
    :

:"the 70 years ran until “the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia,”"

:
    ****This would be 539 or 538 (accession or regnal)---dependent on the answer to the above.
    AND the statement in the last paragraph
    :
    :
    that the 70 years began with the complete desolation of Judah after Jerusalem was destroyed.
    ****The complete desolation did not come until years after Jerusalem was destroyed*****
    :...
    :
    counting back 70 years from when the Jews returned to their homeland in 537 B.C.E
    :
    ******This ignores their argument just a few paragraphs above.
    ******This also ignores the laps of time between the destruction of Jerusalem and
    ******the desolation of Judah that they JUST stated in the same paragraph.

I swear I had another one but I think I have been reading too much.
    -r

*****I had to edit the post because firefox removed all my spacing and someone would have said that paragraphs are our friends. ;)

• Atlantis
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

rassillon,

On 23 Feb 07, I wrote about the problems the GB has in determining the date when Cyrus issued his decree and also the year that the Jews returned to Jerusalem. See post http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/129802/1.ashx

Jeremiah prophesied that the nations had to serve Babylon for 70 years. The other countries listed by Jeremiah were able to serve Babylon while they remained in their own country. Indeed, Jeremiah pleaded with Zedekiah, asking him to serve Babylon which would thus prevent Jerusalem being destroyed (Jeremiah 27:12-13, 17). All of this even though he had prophesied 70 years of serving Babylon.

One would expect that their servitude to Babylon ceased when Babylon no longer ruled - from October 539 BCE. The WTS is totally dependent on secular sources for the date 539 BCE for Babylon's Fall, but it does not accept the method used by those authorities to arrive at that date. The Bible does not give any dates in terms of the "BCE" calendar.

The WTS insists that Cyrus did not come to the throne as soon as Babylon fell, and puts out scenarios that make it impossible for him to have made his decree in sufficient time for the Jews to prepare thousands of families for a four-month trek and arrive there in 537 BCE.

Given how critical these dates are for the WTS's authority, it is unbelievable that they can only guess when the decree was given and can only hope the Jews did as the WTS requires.

Please let me know if I have not made myself clear, and maybe I could draw a timeline picture for you.

Doug

• rassillon
    rassillon

Atlantis, Nevada?.....I am sure the scans are helpful, thanks

Doug, I appreciate your input, I will read your thread.

I have in my own estimation a fairly good understanding of most of the chronology but any additional info is always good.

Did you have any comments about my specific questions?

I have found a reference which indicates that Persians used a regnal system based on the lunar year.

Now just to find when the lunar year starts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit