Chagas in blood supply

by Hortensia 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Has anyone heard about this? A friend told me about it this morning and I googled it and found articles like this:

Deadly parasite threat to blood supply

LOS ANGELES, March 15 (UPI) -- Federal health officials may soon recommend that all donated blood be screened for a deadly Latin American parasite that is threatening the U.S. blood supply.

Some blood-collection agencies are already screening for the parasite, Trypanosoma cruzi, which carries the disease Chagas and has become increasingly prevalent in the blood supply, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The parasite can be contracted through a blood-sucking insect found in Latin America, and potential donors could have traveled to the region, the newspaper reported.

The Centers for Disease Control said in February that the "FDA is expected to recommend implementation of the test (for the parasite) by all blood-collection establishments."

Two Los Angeles heart transplant recipients contracted Chagas last year and died, although not from Chagas, the Times reported.

In 1996, one in 9,850 Los Angeles blood donors tested positive for the parasite, while two years later the number had increased to one in 5,400 donors, the Times said. A more refined test found that one in 3,800 donors tested positive in 2006. In contrast, HIV is found in one in every 30,000 blood donors, the newspaper reported.

Copyright Political Gateway 2006© Copyright United Press International 2006 22

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Who wants to take bets that this will be the highlight an Awake this fall?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yeah, I imagine they'll use it to prove their position. It's a public health issue that they will turn to their own uses. Then they miss the point, which is that blood is an imperfect but sometimes necessary life-saving tool. Not much about medicine is perfect, but where would we be without it?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The existence of parasites in blood is totally irrelevant. The WTS says its reasons for abstaining from the medical use of (some) blood is based on religious grounds, not medical grounds. If their reasons were only medical, they would permit JWs to donate blood or plasma.

The WTS skates on thin ice when it complains about "dangers" with medical treatment that employs blood products, since it is consistently shown that a patient is at greater risk when they refuse life-saving treatment with blood.

I believe one should have confidence, since the authorities have identified a potential risk and in those circumstances put procedures in place that ensure patient safety. At least they are open and honest.

If the WTS refused every medical procedure that involves a risk, they would not even allow people to visit the dentist.

Doug

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sounds like they are testing for it. The real question is which is more dangerous-sudden, severe blood loss or the blood supply? When your vital organs are shutting down due to a lack of sufficient oxygen, I don't think you will be particularly worried about an outside chance of contracting a parasite.

Just to put it in perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit