PBS television

by Hortensia 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

PBS has been really boring all week, another week of begathons. I dislike their pretense that their programming isn't commercial, while they show commercials for their sponsors like any other television station. I watched through a long commercial for a car, for instance, that was just like a car commercial on any other channel, before they went back to declaring with deep sincerity that public television is "supported by viewers like you." All week long the shows I occasionally watch have been preempted by reruns of specials like the Johnny Mathis show. I like Johnny Mathis really well, in fact, but it's just a rerun. So was the rerun with Reba McIntire singing Nellie Forbush - I liked it but I've seen it a few times already. I guess the sanctimonious tone of voice and the sense of entitlement is what gets me.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

So they are now running commercials? Why even pretend to be public, non profit, when they are running ads?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I know what you mean Hortensia... locally, they are running their campaign for money.

I have never 'contributed' to the PBS - I know... I probably should... I keep remembering a fella who I used to work with that did. He forever got them to bother him - even years after his contribution. I get the feeling they do not lose your phone number easily.

I also do not appreciate their running 'specials'... shows that they do not normally run, but claim - during their telethon - that 'support' from the viewers would help them to bring more shows like this. What a crock. During the normal programming, they do not show anything of the sort.

And yeah... I've noticed the ads that they run - between shows - and try to pass off as 'people like this who support Public Broadcasting'. Gee... the network channels could also rephrase their ads to say... 'people like this who support local programming'... or somesuch. No difference.

Regards,

Jim TX

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I understand where you guys are coming from, but.....

Mostly all PBS programming is commercial break free. Advertising is attached before and after a show but never distrupts a program during it. The level of ads on a PBS station are nothing compared to the other broadcast stations as well as many of the cable channels which you pay for and still get interrupted programming.t

I do think it is kind of funny like Jim_TX said that they talk about 'support for shows like this' when those are not the kind of shows they put on at all. But of course I'm actually pretty glad that those shows are not what they play all the time cause I think most of them stink.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

drew sagan - I like your avatar. And I see your point about programming without commercial breaks. I don't have a lot of money and when I make donations to charity it certainly isn't to PBS - I like making donations to local groups where I can see the need and I can see how the money is being used.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I never think about watching PBS unless to watch Austin City Limits.

just thought I would tell you that

• poppers
    poppers

When the government cut funding they had to beg more and to bring in commercial sponsors.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I think the gov funding should be cut completely. They will either have to improve thier programming enough to sell ads or disapear. Without competition all you will ever get is mediocrity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit