Blessing the food / Saying grace

by Qcmbr 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Do JWs say grace and if so what sort of things do they say?

We had quite an open discussion on this topic at church today and we looked at the issue of what I suspect (but may be wrong in) is an LDS cultural strangeness. Here is the body of typical LDS grace to explain:

..we are grateful for all we have received , please bless the food and take away anything harmful from it...

We discussed that while we could see that it was appropriate to offer thanks for perceived gifts we could not pin down exactly where the idea of 'blessing' the food came from (there doesn't seem to be great biblical tradition outside of the 'sacrament' meal) We also agreed that it wasn't an appropriate mantra to recite when we didn't actually mean it ( would it not be wrong to ask a blessing on food when it was being consumed in gluttenous amounts or when there are starving in the world who we do nothing for??) Anyway - it just got me thinking and I wondered whether anyone else had any thoughts on saying grace, its origins and whether its just an LDS thing to actually ask for the food to be 'spiritually improved.'

• evetteto
    evetteto

Interestingly so, it may just be something started...however shouldnt we be grateful for all that God has given us? 1Thes 5:18, Paul admonishes us " In everything give thanks...I believe that would include a meal, IMHO.

Evette

• Cellist
    Cellist

Personally, I don't think God cares whether you thank him for the food. But, as far as I know, it's common to all Christian religions. It's certainly common to all the ones I've come into contact with. Now, asking God to 'spiritually improve the food' isn't something I'm familiar with. It wasn't something we did while we were JWs.

Cellist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit