Need Help Deactivating the "Low tire pressure warning system"

by BlackPearl 2 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

I know this may sound stupid but here goes. I've got a 2005 Lincoln Aviator, in the winter I run the factory wheels, in the Spring, Summer and Fall I run the fancy schmanci custom wheels, and here's where the problem comes in. The factory wheels come equiped with a low tire pressure warning system, and they work great. According to theory, if a tire is running low on air pressure an alarm will sound on the dash and a continuous warning message will remain on the dash until I reset it. Well...now that brings me to the custom wheels, they did not come with the micro chip that tells the system that all is well in tire land and there is plenty of air pressure, since the chip is missing from the custom wheels the warning light always comes on. That wouldn't be so bad but...every time I reset it, it comes back on. So here is my question, how do I deactivate the warning system when my custom wheels are on? I did try to have the chips installed on each wheel but the tire outfit said they wouldn't fit properly on the rims, that would have fixed the problem since the chips would have been able to tell the system that the air pressure is OK, but no...they couldn't be installed properly, so I said forget it, I'll just have to live with the warning light. Then after a while, I thought...I wonder if there is a way to just deactivate it, any ideas? There must be some Lincoln Aviator mechanics out there. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum, but I had to pick one, and this looked like the most likely place to put it.

Thanks,

BP

• Confucious
    Confucious

BP

I have the same exact problem with my Lexus SC430.

I did some researching online and it seems that I have to live with it.

Someone suggested that there's a way to put a black piece of paper in front of it (but unter the glass) but I don't know how that could be easily done.

Con

• DJK
    DJK

I use the same tires year round and in the winter I get the light. On my Titan pickup truck, the only way to reset it is to go to the dealer and they use the computer. It even gives them trouble, trying to reset it takes about an hour. It's not worth my time so now I just leave it on. If I had to listen to a tone I would just shoot it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit