Suing the Elders

by sammielee24 1 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I was just reading up on the Catholic Church lawsuits - specifically one of the major cases in Canada. Does the society operate under individual congregations and would this enable a person to file a lawsuit against a specific body of Elders, the CO and DO of that specific congregation in cases of abuse, if they can't touch anyone at the top? One of the families in one of the stories, sued the Catholic church for pain and suffering because as a direct result of the boy being sexually abused, he in turn abused his siblings and ended up living on the streets etc. He was awareded 1.5 million or thereabouts. Could this be applied to the society? sammieswife.

(((In Canada, the Catholic Church is legally incorporated at a diocese level, not at a national level like other religious denominations.

The ruling means abuse victims can sue an individual priest and the specific episcopal corporation he's hired by, but they usually do not have the financial resources of the Church and cannot pay out large settlements. )))

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I couldn't tell you about the equivalent target within the Tower, but I do know that the brothers can come together and form a corporation, and that three brothers formed a corporation in my hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit