Musings about geology, "deep" time, and humans

by Alpaca 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

One of the most humbling things a person can do is to stand at the base of a tall (hundreds of feet) outcrop of fossil bearing sedimentary rocks, wiggle out a piece of rock, and look at the fossils...knowing that they have not seen the light of day in 350 million years (give or take a few million, LOL). Ordinary concepts of time disappear with these kinds of numbers, hence geologists resort to the term "deep time." When you take the mental step back to try and grasp "deep time" it makes you realize how puny and insignificant the human species is. We have been here for only a geologic blink and yet we think the universe revolves around us. We can grasp a hundred, a thousand, maybe ten thousand years but beyond that our ability to grasp the vast spans of time that have preceded us breaks down. Over these vast spans of time species come and go. Those that persist, adapt and radiate (genetically) over a long time, through mass extinctions, and reach their full evolutionary potential are referred to as "mature" species. As you might have guessed, humans are an immature species, having been here for a very short time. In my mind we are like a gawky, out-of-control teenager with all kinds of energy, strength and raging hormones. We have all this power to control the planet and we lack the wisdom and foresight to know what that really means. The most dangerous of the raging hormones is religion. If humans are to become a "mature" species and truly endure for the long haul, we are going to have to direct our own evolution and get past the B.S. that is destroying us. Sorry if I rambled...it just comes out....

• Satanus
    Satanus

So true. Often, when i try to imagine 2000, or even the sopposed 6000 yrs that we are supposed to have been here, i find it hard. Looking at some living species that is millions of yrs old as it's doing it's mundane things that it has done for millions of yrs is just totally freaky. Imagining all those yrs, i sometimes get something akin to hieght sickness.

As human animals, we certainly are young. W infinity in our minds, our potential is perhaps 'rulers of the universe', or more. I like better looking into the future, sometimes.

S

• press any key
    press any key
    In my mind we are like a gawky, out-of-control teenager with all kinds of energy, strength and raging hormones.

In my mind we are more like 3 year old toddlers

- just getting past the idea that we are the centre of the universe

-slowly learning how the world and our bodies work, (science has a long way to go - one day its coffee is good for but the next day its not )

-just starting to venture over the neighbours fence and learn about things outside our house (planet)

-but the neighbours (non-earthlings) still have a scary "they might hurt us" quality about them

-still talking to invisible friends and making life decisions based on their "answers"

-ones that have lots of goodies refusing to share with ones that dont

-refusing to play nicely with countries we dont like

and lots of other toddler traits - I made a list once but cant find it at the moment so that just off the top of my head

disclaimer - talking majorities not individuals

cheers

pak

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Another idea that seems to go away when one thinks about deep time is the anthropocentric notion that the earth was created FOR us. When we see how long other species existed, unchallenged, and then realize that, but for a volcanic eruption or stray asteroid, they might still exist today, it rather takes some of ones breath away. Humans have existed as a species for less than 500,000 years, and that is being generous with what one considers human. Our "civilization" has existed for much less than 10,000 years. Consider whales, large brained sentient beings which have existed for more than 50 million years. Or consider crocodiles, which have existed almost unchanged since BEFORE there were dinosaurs. If another 6 mile diameter asteroid struck the planet tomorrow, who would survive, humans or crocodiles?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Alpaca,

nice write up! we tend to throw words like "time" and "cosmos" without meditating on their vast, vast dimensions.

We have all this power to control the planet and we lack the wisdom and foresight to know what that really means.

and i would only add that, to me, "wisdom" for humans as a group is going to be in having the ability to "control the planet", and dominate nature, but choosing not to. in other words, the understanding that we are working for the planet, not her for us.

tetra

• moshe
    moshe

I have an Adena Indian flint spear dart that was found about 50 miles from my home. It is about 3000 to 4000 years old and has an earthy smell from being burried in the soil all these centuries. I wonder if I will leave anything behind to mark my short time on earth that somebody will find 3000 years later?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    If another 6 mile diameter asteroid struck the planet tomorrow, who would survive, humans or crocodiles?

Both would survive. We are a lot tougher and more resiliant than is generally recognised. Now that we humans are here, i think we are here to stay.

S

• Twitch
    Twitch

Alpaca,

I dunno, i liked the rambling. It is indeed humbling to realize that everything we are and do is but the briefest blink in the grand timescale.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Moshe said: I wonder if I will leave anything behind to mark my short time on earth that somebody will find 3000 years later?

Why not make another stone spear head and place it beside the old one? That will really mess w somebody's mind.

S

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Why not make another stone spear head and place it beside the old one? That will really mess w somebody's mind.

LOL!! some far distant-future athropoid-like anthropologist will be going "what the...?? this is HEAVY!!"

tetra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit