BIG-NBC news SPORTS FORBIDDEN in JW CULT

by DannyHaszard 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Big slam on Watchtower good experience to use for child custody court to refute that JW kids are 'normal'.

For his entire youth into his early adulthood, Quarry was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, growing up in the Christian denomination where life focused on school, bible study and home chores. There was no time for socializing or doing most things that most American teenagers do. Sports were forbidden.

Nate Quarry NBC sports says "sports forbidden in JW cult lots more" Nate Quarry never played a sport until his 20s; his next challenge ...
    NBCSports.com, MN - 2 hours ago
    For his entire youth into his early adulthood, Quarry was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, growing up in the Christian denomination where life focused ... Breaking away Self-discovery is one of those terms you hear on The Oprah Winfrey Show, a phrase that you'd never hear uttered on a sports broadcast. But for Quarry, it was a very real part of the journey to what he is now: a UFC fighter. For his entire youth into his early adulthood, Quarry was a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses, growing up in the Christian denomination where life focused on school, bible study and home chores. There was no time for socializing or doing most things that most American teenagers do. Sports were forbidden. "It's a very strict religion. In my mind, it's a cult," says Quarry, now 34 years old and a decade removed. "A cult needs to control its members 24 hours a day. They don't want them seeing that anything outside of their religion is better than what they're being offered inside that organization." For years, this was his reality, his life. A curious mind, however, is a difficult thing to contain. Quarry began slowly venturing away from his comfort zone and toward the rest of society, joining a gym to lift weights, meeting people that caused him to question what he'd been taught. From time to time, he'd visit a local comic book store and chat with the owner. After a while, he became such a regular that the owner, a guy by the name of Jamie Hayes, asked Quarry if he wanted to meet up over beers later. This is one of many ways friendships are made, but for someone who'd lived such a sheltered existence, it seemed out of the ordinary. Hayes was not part of his religion, so why would he want to spend time with Nate? What would they talk about? Quarry declined the invitation, as he would time and again, until finally after a few months, he relented in his doubts and met the acquaintance for beers. Seems like a good guy, he thought. Not long after, Quarry met his family. Genuinely nice people, he realized. For Quarry, visiting their home was like discovering a new civilization. Within a couple of years, Quarry was the best man at Hayes' wedding.

"I was told from day one of being with the Witnesses that there are no good people outside of the church, that there is nothing else out there and that we're the happiest in the world," he says. "Then, I started to meet these people that weren't Witnesses, yet they were very nice people, they were helpful and kind. And I started thinking, this is different than what I've been taught. And it really opened my eyes and made me think more about what else is out there." Which brings us to his other discovery. Around the same time, he was watching television when he saw a mixed martial arts broadcast and fell in love. A few days later, he stepped into an MMA gym for the first time. He was 24 years old, and it was the very first time he engaged in any type of organized sports. "I walked into the door thinking, 'I'm a big guy, I must know how to defend myself,'" he says now, laughing. "I trained with guys that were 40 pounds lighter than me, and I was getting choked out and armbarred. It just amazed me how skillful they were with the things they could do so smoothly. I was hooked from that moment on. I realized this is a whole other aspect of life I've never seen before, and I wanted to be a part of it." By this time, he was openly questioning everything he'd been taught. He left the church behind, was excommunicated and lost many lifetime friendships. He's spoken to one of his sisters just once in the last eight years, and only speaks with his mother three or four times a year ("I accept her life, and I hope she accepts mine," he says.). But as a person, he was growing. And as an athlete, he was soaking up everything he was taught. After training for just a few years, including with current UFC heavyweight champ Randy Couture, he decided to quit his job at a sign company to train full-time. The ultimate breakthrough
    In 2001, he made his fighting debut against Drew McFedries on an Extreme Challenge card highlighted by Matt Hughes, and won via second-round TKO. All three fighters would later go on to fight in the UFC. E-mail Mike Chiappetta at [email protected]
  • Mad
    Mad

LOLOLO! As good as Saturday Night Live- or BETTER! Our brotherhood does NOT teach that...but neither does it encourage beating someones brains out. Comic Book store Guru- so THAT'S the type of info you trust! To quote society: "God HELP you"!

This is REAL entertainment!

[email protected] - I don't check these posts as often as I would like to!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

That's a very encouraging story for someone like myself, and a great slam against the Tower. Thanks, Danny.

LOLOLO! As good as Saturday Night Live- or BETTER! Our brotherhood does NOT teach that...but neither does it encourage beating someones brains out. Comic Book store Guru- so THAT'S the type of info you trust! To quote society: "God HELP you"!

O RLY?

*** g91 6/22 p. 16 Should I Join the School Team? ***

Healthy Alternatives

Of course, some athletic training may be provided during school hours as part of the regular curriculum, and there is usually no objection to a young Christian’s attending such classes. Furthermore, circumstances vary in different lands. Nevertheless, youths among Jehovah’s Witnesses generally avoid involvement in extracurricular school sports.

That means no, Mad. There were three young publisher brothers in my hall, and all three have been demoted, partly due to the fact that they played in a flag football league. Soo...you might want to rethink apologizing for them on this issue.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Wow! What a great story!

Thanks!

• Kudra
    Kudra

Woo hoo, what a honey!

He sounds like someone that would post on JWD, what with how he views the dubs n all.

-K

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

What a wonderful article. Thanks for sharing that with us.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Great article...thanks for posting!

Swalker

• hybridous
    hybridous
    Our brotherhood does NOT teach that

You forget who you're talking to....Your 'brotherhood', indeed, taught us that. We were there, heard it ourselves....

Will you defend God by using lies?

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Three cheers for Nate Quarry. Thanks Danny.

Mad...........your comment.

Our brotherhood does NOT teach that...

You remind me of the mindless a$$hole robots I use to was forced to serve with. Not a one had a thinking cell in his brain.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit