Local JW teen spotlighted in the paper

by La Capra 6 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/NEWS04/703060412/-1/SPECIAL&THEMES=LIFESTYLE Someone is going to have to clean up my link, because I'm on my mac at work. (And give me some paragraphs, too, please). The editor's e-mail is [email protected] There are a few child molestation law suits pending in our region ("The Wine Country"), in Petaluma, CA and Napa, CA. This newsaper has carried the stories. Also in nearby Sacramento another case is going through its motions and hearings. If you are familiar with the facts of these cases, some letters to the editor could "witness to the witnesses" about the problem, paricularly since this boy (a child) is being touted for his religious involvement. Our local Catholic Diocese is currently under public fire for delaying a report, allowing a child molesting priest to escape out of the country. This is a hot topic around here. Thanks, Shoshana (who appreciates the irony of a "teen" being celebrated for his activity in a religion that hides and protects molesters)

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/NEWS04/703060412/-1/SPECIAL&THEMES=LIFESTYLE

TEEN FACE

Ricky Carrasco

Personal: Ricky Carrasco is a 14-year-old freshman at Roseland University Prep. He lives in Santa Rosa with his mom, Alisa, and dad, Rick. The family has two Chihuahua dogs, Chica and Mocha.

Strong academic foundation: In middle school, Carrasco received a Presidential Award for maintaining A's and B's over several years.

"I've never had a D in my life. And the last C I got was in fourth grade. School and grades are important to me," said the teen, who said he'd like to become an accountant.

This year, Carrasco is studying algebra, biology, Spanish, art and participates in AVID - Advancement Via Individual Determination. He said the class he has the most fun in is algebra, the most challenging is biology.

Focusing on faith: What he likes about attending Roseland University Prep is the atmosphere of friendship and the support from teachers. He says this is especially important in terms of his religious faith.

"I was born and raised as a Jehovah's Witness. I attend the Kingdom Hall in Santa Rosa four times a week," he said.

A typical week for Carrasco includes all of his school commitments, playing basketball for fun, riding his bike with friends and attending church.

On Tuesdays, he attends services from 7:30 to 9:15 p.m. On Wednesdays, he has a study session at the Kingdom Hall from 5:45 to 6:45 p.m. On Saturdays, he attends a service with his family, then they go out in the neighborhood to talk to neighbors about their faith.

"On Sunday, we have our main meeting, which is 2 hours long, from 12:30 to 2:30," said the teen, who also devotes time to personal prayer each evening.

Carrasco is happy to discuss his faith but said he doesn't push it on anyone. He is aware that some people have misunderstandings about what defines Jehovah's Witnesses.

"People think you can't do any normal things. I do normal things. But I'm not on any sports teams because it would take away time from doing spiritual things," he said. He also opts out of school dances and won't be dating until he is older.

Facing challenges: As a young teenager, Carrasco is understandably nervous when speaking before groups. He said his Bible study groups have helped him overcome podium jitters.

"It's part of our training to go out and give talks. Usually, when my family goes out, my dad speaks. We're usually not invited into homes and that's OK. We talk to them standing on the porch," he said.

Of course, as they try to spread the word of their faith, they face trials.

"One time a lady came chasing after us, saying get out of our neighborhood. But mostly, people are really nice. They take the magazine to read," he said.

Focusing on family: The Carrasco family has a mutual passion - watching "American Idol" from start to finish. They sit on the couch and eat popcorn and usually all agree on who should move forward in the competition. They are also known around their neighborhood for walking the dogs together.

"I'm very close to my parents and my family, my aunt and my grandparents. I can talk to my parents about anything. I know how good I've got it, to have such supportive parents," he said.

His chores include keeping his room clean and taking out the garbage, which he'd like to learn to do without being told.

Cultural Challenge: This semester Carrasco is committing himself to mastering the language most of his family already speaks.

"I'm Mexican and I can't speak Spanish. It's so bad. So I'll be working on that," he said.

He also laments his inability to tolerate spicy ethnic foods.

"Once my friend and I ate habañeros and we nearly cried. Really, I can't even eat hot Cheetos without my eyes watering," he said with a laugh.

- Rayne Wolfe

• bigmouth
  • bigmouth
    bigmouth

He sounds like a nice kid with a good family. I wonder how long before he becomes disillusioned and we see him here?

From what I'm reading he has a 2 in 3 chance of getting out .

• evita
    evita

I saw this today too. It made me sad when I remembered myself at 14. Like this boy, I smugly believed the witnesses had god's seal of approval. I too, was willing to make many sacrifices for that belief. That was before I grew up and learned the truth about "the truth".
    I wonder where this boy will be at 18.

• Purza
    Purza

I read the PD every day and missed that story.

Did you see this letter in the paper this past Sunday? I immediately assumed it was JW related.

UNINVITED VISITORS

Published on March 4, 2007

© 2007- The Press Democrat

BYLINE: Santa Rosa PAGE: B10

COLUMN: LET THE PUBLIC SPEAK

EDITOR: If, for religious reasons, some parents want to receive notification from the school regarding classes dealing with sex education and gay issues in order to decide whether to allow their child to attend, they should be given that courtesy and respect.

By the same token, religious missionaries and door-to-door proselytizers should extend that same respect to others not of their faith.

They should send written notification before coming to a home uninvited. Otherwise, their attempt to convert, implying that their religion is superior, can only be considered demeaning and offensive. In their zeal, they tend to disregard the sign outside the door not to disturb the occupant.

XXXXX

Santa Rosa

• carla
    carla

bttt, just cause I really like the letter to the editor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit