indwelling of holy spirit

by BlackSwan of Memphis 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hello you smarties out there!!!

I have been hanging out a bit at Catholic Forum (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php??) asking a few questions and in return answering a few here and there. There was an interesting post by someone asking about the JW's take on the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

He got two replies, from the same person, which were pretty good.

I was wondering though if anyone had any interesting scans or links or whatever that he might like to read.

I did a google search but found mostly apologetic's type stuff. I am more interested in something that either comes from the jw's themselves or a former jw.

Thanks!!!

• free2think
    free2think

I don't have any links, BSoM, I thought you were a bit quiet. Please don't like them more then us.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ohh I'm sorry f2t! Like them more?! What?! No possible way. You're my homies! My peeps! My buds!

<<where's the beer?>>

Just kiddin'.

After I had posted about hell both here and another forum, I decided to take a question more specific regarding hell to the Catholic forum as I know there are some former jw's there and also a few pagans as well as atheists. And I just got to reading some of the stuff.

PLUS

Friday night I got sick with a nasy sore throat and was off the computer much of Saturday. Yesterday I had to catch up with a few things soooooo you know how that goes!

Don't worry though. While they are very nice over there, there is not a lot for me to talk about with them.

Nice people and I think I have some things to add.

But here and arcana sphere are the two places I ususally hang at.

I have to catch up on Myspace stuff again too!!!

Oy, I'm sooooo behind!

• I.Wonder
    I.Wonder

This may be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah

also by typing "shekinah" into the Wathtower cd-rom quite a few articles come up. Here is one that maybe of interest:

Questions

FromReaders

It is said that in Israel’s tabernacle and later in the temple Solomon built there was the Shekinah. What was it?—A.G.,U.S.A.

The Hebrew word Shekinah means "that which dwells" or "the dwelling." Though this term is not employed in the Bible, it is found in the Targumim, or Targums, the Aramaic paraphrases of the Hebrew Scriptures. Shekinah is used in the Targums in such Biblical passages as those related to God’s dwelling or tabernacling or residing among his chosen people. (E.g., Ex. 25:8; 29:45, 46; Num. 5:3; 35:34) In the Targums the Hebrew word "dwell" or "tabernacle" is rendered "let the Shekinah rest."—See Targum of Isaiah 48:11; 63:17; 64:3, 6.

The Shekinah was in evidence in the Most Holy of both the tabernacle and Solomon’s temple. Within this innermost compartment rested the sacred ark of the covenant, or testimony, with two golden cherubs fashioned for its lid or cover. Making reference to this Ark, God told Moses: "And you must place the cover above upon the Ark, and in the Ark you will place the testimony that I shall give you. And I will present myself to you there and speak with you from above the cover, from between the two cherubs that are upon the ark of the testimony, even all that I shall command you for the sons of Israel." (Ex. 25:21, 22) But how might Jehovah present himself there to Moses? A fitting manner would be by means of a miraculous light. Also, the high priest would need light when he was in the Most Holy on the atonement day.—Lev. 16:11-16.

The Shekinah in the tabernacle and in Solomon’s temple was such a light or supernatural glow. It shone between the two golden cherubs on the cover of the Ark. Just how high above the cherubs it extended or had its source cannot be determined. However, the Shekinah light was the only source of illumination in the Most Holy.

What, then, was the significance of the Shekinah light? This effulgence in the Most Holy signified or represented God’s presence. Of course, Jehovah himself could not be confined to any literal tabernacle or temple. (2 Chron. 6:18; Acts 17:24) But this marvelous light was an indication to the Israelites that Jehovah’s favor attended them.

According to the Jewish Mishnah, the Shekinah light in the Most Holy was one of the things lacking in the temple built under Governor Zerubbabel’s supervision.—Yoma, 21,2.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but maybe it will help some.

IW

• free2think
    free2think

Hope you're feeling better now!

hugs

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

thanks f2t, I'm doing much better now. My husband keeps that airborne stuff on hand. That Really works!!!!

I wonder: Wow, now that is something I hadn't thought of. Shekinah. Interesting article. Let me read it through a few times. And Thank You for that suggestion. Clever, very clever!

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I'd put more credence on alien abduction accounts and ufology than this bollox.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit