God wears clothes? - NEED A SCAN

by pixel 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pixel
    pixel

Hello there,

This is nasty.

"God wears clothes" {GA May 19 1926 534}

It's a quote from the GA magazine. Does anybody have a real scan from that magazine to read what is the context? Thanks.

Also, Why can't I change my password? I do it and update, and then nothing happens. I've uploaded also an avatar a lot of times and it does not appear. And, I've checked myself as "Male", and I still appear as some sort of sex mix. Can somebody explain to me how to update the profile? Thanks again.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sorry, I don't have that issue. I have nothing for the years of 1925-1927 in my small collection.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Also, Why can't I change my password? I do it and update, and then nothing happens. I've uploaded also an avatar a lot of times and it does not appear. And, I've checked myself as "Male", and I still appear as some sort of sex mix. Can somebody explain to me how to update the profile? Thanks again.

Pixel, the following link will take you to Lady Lee's "JWDFAQS" thread and you should find what you need to know about editing your profile and how it takes a while for a new avatar to show up there:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/77659/1.ashx

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Also, Pixel, I googled that "Golden Age, May 19, 1926, 534" and came up with the following info:

http://e-watchman.com/questions/nwt-questions-jws-11-20.html

19. Is it true that the WTS once taught that: The second presence of Christ started in 1874 (WT, 11/1/22, pgs 332-337; Prophecy, 1929, pg 65-66); Vaccinations never saved a human life, doesn't prevent smallpox, and are condemned (Golden Age, Feb 4, 1931, pg 293-4); The great pyramid of Egypt is a witness of the Lord (WT May 15, 1925 pgs 148-9); God governs the universe from a star called Alcyone (Thy Kingdom Come, 1903 Ed, pg 327); Leviathan of the Bible is the steam locomotive (The Finished Mystery, pg 84-86); Tonsillectomy is condemned; better to commit suicide than have a tonsillectomy (GA, April 7, 1926, pg 438); In the new world, Abraham will rule New York City (GA, Oct 5, 1927, pg 26/29); The black race originated with Noah's curse upon Canaan (GA, Jul 24, 1929, pg 702); Jews are no longer important to God (Vindication, Vol 2, pg 257-258); GOD WEARS CLOTHES (GA, May 19, 1926, pg 534); The WTS stands for the principles of Nazi Germany (Yearbook 1934, pg 134-137); Aspirin is the menace of heart disease (GA, Feb 27, 1935, pg 343-4); Do not use X-rays (GA, Sept 23, 1936, pg 828); In 1938, people should not get married (Face the Facts, pg 46-50); Organ transplants were condemned as cannibalistic (WT, Nov 15, 1967, pg 702-4)? The WTS teaches that it is the mouthpiece for Jehovah and God's one and only channel of communication to the world. Since God does not tell lies or change his mind (Num 23:19, Ps 89:34, Heb 6:18), and since it is clear that the WTS could not have possibly been speaking for God when they proclaimed these teachings, then how do you know that the WTS is speaking for God now? See Zeph 3:13 and Isa 28:15. To see many direct quotes from the WTS, click: WTS Quotes

To put things in perspective: The official teaching of the Catholic Church used to be that the earth was the center of the universe. The Vatican even forced Galileo to recant from his scientific observations to the opposite. If the Catholic Church's Dark Age policy were still in force today, we would be burned at the stake for merely discussing the Bible outside their approved liturgical boundaries. So, it seems appropriate to point out the gross hypocrisy of our Catholic questioner. Not only that, but this line of reasoning is devious and dishonest. For one thing, statements taken out of their historical and contextual setting are intended to nudge the reader to form the biased opinion that you wish upon them.

For example, the statement that vaccinations never saved a human life was made in 1931. Vaccinations were in their infancy at that time, so it is quite likely that there was no real proof that vaccinations were effective. Obviously, the questioner's intent is to show how silly such a statement is now, but back then it was not at all an inappropriate statement. Furthermore, the questioner reveals his own ignorance on this issue. That's because vaccinations were controversial back then and they are still controversial to this day—if not more so. No doubt, in 1931, the comment in the Golden Age did not seem at all unreasonable. Many people, in 2003, suspect that immunization has contributed to weakening the body's natural immune system and may be one of the underlying causes of the many new immunodeficiency diseases that did not exist in the previous generations. Also, vaccinations are suspected in many child deaths. While there is no question that vaccinations have saved many lives, immunization is an ongoing experiment with the long-term results still unknown.

The same thing applies to other health issues. Tonsillectomies are considered routine surgeries; but some doctors now think that unnecessarily removing the tonsils can lead to serious health problems later on in life. Similarly, the Watchtower was been criticized for putting in print that aluminum cookware was dangerous. But, there are those today, 70 years later, who suspect that aluminum might be a contributing factor in Alzheimer's disease. It would seem that the Watchtower was way ahead of the curve on that issue.

Same with the aspirin issue. While the giant pharmaceutical companies have convinced people that taking aspirin prevents heart problems, others feel that aspirins are detrimental to health. So, on these trivial issues we must conclude that the questioner is simply pandering to popular prejudices and ignorance.

That is not to say that the Watchtower hasn't made a lot of dumb statements, but many of the things cited above have nothing to do with the Bible. They were just the opinions of certain men. Besides, the apostles had many wrong ideas. In fact, Jesus corrected them all the time, and yet, Jesus used them as the foundation of his congregation. But, the Scriptures allow for the children of God to go through the awkward phase of adolescence before attaining spiritual adulthood. Paul said of himself, in illustrating the growth of the congregation of God leading up to the time of Christ's return: "For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with. When I was a babe, I used to speak as a babe, to think as a babe, to reason as a babe; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a babe. For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known."

Jesus said, "Wisdom is proved righteous by works." What does that mean? It means that you judge the end result. The end result of the Watchtower's teachings back then was that it produced a people who demonstrated the same strength of faith as the original Christians. For example, during WWII, Catholics, Lutherans and Protestant Trinitarians all engaged in mutual slaughter on a level that surpassed all previous wars. On the other hand, Jehovah's Witnesses went to prisons and concentration camps by the thousands in Germany and through out the English-speaking world because they were determined to follow the teachings of Christ, regardless of the personal costs involved. If the Watchtower was as inept as our opposers would have us believe, how do you explain the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses back then demonstrated to the world that they had an unconquerable faith that proved to be far superior in quality to anything produced by Christendom?

• pixel
    pixel

Thank you to both of you. I will read the info.

• VM44
    VM44

I used to speak as a babe, to think as a babe, to reason as a babe

That would be an accurate description of Clayton J. Woodworth, the editor of The Golden Age magazine, except that he never developed beyond the "babe" state in his thinking.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Vaccinations were in their infancy at that time (1931), so it is quite likely that there was no real proof that vaccinations were effective.

This is a stupid statement written by someone who has neither looked into the history of vaccinations or read the article after article against vaccination published in The Golden Age.

By the year 1931 the effectiveness of vaccinations in the elimination of disease was well established. There was no excuse for The Golden Age to have printed "Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." (The Golden Age, Feb. 4, 1931, p. 294.).

That is simply flat out wrong, even by 1931 standards.

Was The Golden Age magazine a venue to publish the personal opinions of its editor, Clayton Woodworth?

If the Watch Tower writers couldn't get the facts straight about matters already established, then why should anyone trust them concerning anything they write about the Bible?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Clayton J. Woodworth was a walking joke who wanted to impress others by how much he "thought" he knew.

He knew nothing, nothing at all. He lived a life of self-delusion, just like all the JWs then and today do.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit