Birthday pay for JWs

by uuus2b1 5 Replies latest jw friends

• uuus2b1
    uuus2b1

Where I work... an employee's Birthday is a paid holiday. As a witness and an elder, I always had a tough time explaining why JWs didn't celebrate Birthdays but could accept the day off and be paid for it . . . "A matter of conscience" was usually the explanation. Secretly, I always thought it was hypocrital. Personally, I would not take the day off but I definetly would keep the cash! I know of others JWs that would take both and would be mad if any error prevented them from getting the money they so rightly deserved!

Any thoughts?

• blondie
    blondie

These are the days I get off and paid for:

New Years Eve and Day--pagan, not for JWs

MLK Day--political holiday and MLK's birthday

Memorial Day--political holiday

Fourth of July--political holiday and birthday of the US

Labor Day--political holiday

Thanksgiving--political/religous holiday

Christmas Eve Day/Christmas--religious holiday and Christ's birthday

All days forbidden to be celebrated by JWs yet I was allowed to be off on those days and paid for them. Did the WTS teach that I was celebrating those days because my employer gave me those days off and paid me for them?

I would have just made an agreement with my employer to select another day, such as my wedding anniversary, to take off or my husband's birthday or my child's.

Blondie

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

On the other hand you could have been treated like my boss:

At new years bonus time, he would give the big $100.00 envelope to workers leaving the time clock area. Since at that time I made sure everyone knew I was a witness he would wave high and low the envelope to tease me..... he would also make verbal teases

• Spectre
    Spectre

Of course you know that you can take the money as long as it goes in the donation box, right?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

This much is true of Jehovahs Witnesses. If something is not set in BLACK AND WHITE that they CANNOT DO IT...they will do it. Anything that is left up their CONSCIENCE...they will chose to do the WORLDLY THING and not the "but a TRUE Christian would never..." thing.

NOT take money for bonuses? HA!! NOT take that gift at Christmas?? HA!! NOT take that free turkey at Thanksgiving? HA!

Yep...all conscience matters that allow naughty worldly behavior are definitely the way to go.

• uuus2b1
    uuus2b1

Re:"NOT take that free turkey at Thanksgiving? HA!"

Also...Where I work...Most JWs accepted the yearly free Thanksgiving Turkey and Christmas ham..they just make sure to cook them on days other than what they were meant for. ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit