Swivelling The Service Reports: The Decline of JWism In The West

by under_believer 1 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

So there is this new web service called Swivel. It is at http://www.swivel.com. What it does is you take data and upload it onto there, and you can generate charts and graphs and so on. It's pretty keen (though it's a technology preview or "beta", and therefore it has some bugs).

Anyways I got all the field service reports from 1997-2005 and put them up there. I couldn't get 1998 off of the Internet Archive, so it's missing, and 2006 isn't out yet. Another caveat: I left out the "other lands" line because it changes every year, and is also statistically insignificant. Anyways these data reveal some interesting trends. The full raw dataset is at http://swivel.com/data_sets/show/1003719. If you click into the main report, be prepared to see a lot of raw data. It is not for the faint of heart, or the faint of statistics, or the faint of online tech demos.

However I can link you to a few interesting representational graphs that illustrate what has been happening to JWism in the Western World since 1997. One of the best metrics I can find for this is comparing hours of preaching work with numbers of baptisms. In almost all cases, the baptism figures are way off, especially considering the number of hours preached.

Here are the graphs for:
    Brazil
    Britain
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greenland
    Mexico
    Japan
    U.S. of America
    As you can see, Brazil is one of the places in the world where JWism is absolutely exploding! But look everywhere else (even Mexico.) The hours are either falling, flat, or rising with the population increase. The baptisms are way, way down all over the globe. The Society can't possibly be happy with those numbers if they, as Raymond Franz reports, really follow those numbers with all the gusto and interest of sales reports in a regular organization. Which, I guess, is exactly what they are.

EDIT: I take it back. Brazil is declining too. I guess things really are looking bad, aren't they?

• badboy
    badboy

INTERESTING

INITALLY,I FOUND IT A BIT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE GRAPH ETC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit