Obese child may be removed from his mother to be put in care

by fifi40 8 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
  • badboy
    badboy

I BELIEVE THE CHILD WILL NOT NOW GO INTO SOCIAL SERVICES CARE.

• needproof
    needproof

Yeah, judge ruled yesterday that the boy can stay.

• PEC
    PEC

Yes, it is child abuse for her to let her eight year old, eat himself to death.

It is also child abuse to smoke if you have children, or to let them smoke.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No he shouldn't be taken away. But why can't she just say NO to this boy? Good grief if I let my kids eat all the junk they wanted, they'd be 200 pounds as well. But it is her responsibility to get him on a decent diet. It takes just a modicum of will to enforce the authority.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That's astonishing a 91 KG 8 year old child that's more than what I weigh. I don't think it's his mother fault if he has a weakness for food and it's also silly to claim that he gets fat because he eats junk food, any food is fattening if eaten in large quantities, his problem is overindulgence. So he should stay with his family.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I've seen this kid before, on the news I believe.

This child is clearly headed for a premature death if something isn't done promply to ensure weight loss.

The parent is allowing this to take place- allowing a child to damage themselves to the point of certain death.

That's abuse, plain and simple.

If the child isn't removed, what then?

The parent has already demonstrated an incapabilty/unwillingness to stop this.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I watched the 'Tonight' programme about the family on Monday night. There was one thing which stood out to me - the grandmothers involvement.

The boys mum has depression, so the grandmother is letting her stay in bed while she sorts out the boy. It was even her who refused to put a padlock on the fridge to stop him pinching food, it's her who is feeding him oversized portions. To me, she was encouraging/facilitating a large part of the situation.

The mum was interviewed at the end of the show and she sounded determined to help her son, but her own mother stepping in and taking over is not going to provide the motivation she needs to do it herself.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What I do think might be helpful is for Child Services to send in a home care worker and get grandma out of the house. The home care worker would work with the mother to set up a budget and create a healthy dietary plan to help the boy lose some of the weight and perhaps help mom to get some help for her depression. A helthier diet may help that as well as medication if warranted

Grandma's gotta go

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit