I'm looking for a scripture,...can you help

by *jeremiah* 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

This scripture talks about prophesying is Gods name.

If you prophecy in God's name and it doesn't come to pass then you are not of God. -Something to that affect.

Does anyone remember the exact scripture and/ or scriptures?

Thanks

• Clam
    Clam

Do you mean "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him"(Deuteronomy 18:22).

?

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Thanks Clam,

Are there anymore?

So my mom is corresponding with my younger brother. He faded and no longer is a believer but my mom still has a decent relationship with him.

He recently asked her a few questions, questioning teachings of the WTS.

She has begun her WTS apologetics.

She started with the whole paradise earth thing.

This is what she put at the end:

So what ever Jehovah has said or promised will come true. It doesn't happen according to our timetable. Because we are imperfect, we don't always see the big picture and we tend to be impatient.

I thought,...reminding her of Jehovah's "promise" in Deut. 18:22,...might be a good reply.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

Try Deuteronomy 18: 20 - 22

20 “‘However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.’

• Clam
    Clam

Jeremiah not sure if I'm getting too off track here but maybe she needs to look at the WTS's to and fro on whether they believe themselves to be prophets or not . . .

No: "Never in these instances, however, did they presume or originate predictions ‘in the name of Jehovah’. Never did they say ‘These are the words of Jehovah’." (AW 3/22/93)

Yes: "God has a people on earth, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God...Jehovah’s Witnesses." (AW 6/8/86 p9)

No: "Jehovah’s Witnesses do not claim to be inspired prophets." (Reasoning, 1985, p136)

Yes: "In behalf of such individuals who at heart seek God’s rule instead of man’s rule, the ‘prophet’ whom Jehovah has raised up has been, not an individual man as in the case of Jeremiah, but a class. The members of this class are, like the prophet-priest Jeremiah, wholly dedicated to Jehovah God through Christ, and by the begettal of Jehovah’s holy spirit they have been made part of a ‘chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession'." (WT 10/1/82 p27)

No: "In this regard, however, it must be observed, that the ‘faithful and discrete slave’ was never inspired, never perfect." (WT 3/1/79 p23-4)

Yes: "The facts substantiate that the remnant of Christ’s anointed disciples have been doing that prophesying to all the nations for a witness in favor of God’s kingdom." (Holy Spirit - The Force Behind the Coming New Order, 1976, p 148)

No: "They do not claim infalibility or perfection. Neither are they inspired prophets." (WT 5/15/76 p297)

Yes: "Jehovah has raised up a genuine prophet in our generation. Regardless of how Christendom views or regards this group of anointed witnesses of Jehovah, the time must come, and that shortly, when those making up Christendom, will know that really a ‘prophet’ of Jehovah was among them. (The Nations Shall Know, 1971).

No: "No, the ‘Watchtower’ is no inspired prophet, but it follows and explains a book of prophecy the predictions in which have proved to be unerring and unfailing until now." (WT 69 1/1 p2)

Yes: "Through this agency he is having carried out prophesying on an unprecedented and unparalled scale." (WT 64 6/15)

No: "Jehovah’s people confess no powers of inspiration today" (WT 52 4/15 p253)

Yes: "Jehovah God has made known to his anointed ones in advance what these scriptures mean." (WT 31 6/1 p 160)

Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them. (Matthew 7:15-20)

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

That's a useful list, Clam, it seems they both claimed and denied being prophets in the same year:

Yes: "The facts substantiate that the remnant of Christ’s anointed disciples have been doing that prophesying to all the nations for a witness in favor of God’s kingdom." (Holy Spirit - The Force Behind the Coming New Order, 1976, p 148)

No: "They do not claim infalibility or perfection. Neither are they inspired prophets." (WT 5/15/76 p297)

It's something none of us picked up on at the time. If we had, such a flip flop would have offerred insight into the man-made nature of the religion.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Ask her to get out an AWAKE! bound volume that was printed before 1983 and turn to the masthead on page 4.

Now, ask her to get out an AWAKE!bound volume that was printed after 2000 and turn to the masthead on page 4.

Ask her why did God lie about His promise?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit