ELDERS: Are you giving a wedding talk this weekend?

by becca1 4 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

Heard an interesting comment at a wedding reherasal I am attending out of town.. The elder, joking around during the rehersal, said:" Did you know the wedding ring is a pagan symbol? Funny how they pick and choose which pagan things to use." I was taken aback and wondered if that elder is here. If you are, I'd love to meet you in person. PM me so we can talk.

• choosing life
    choosing life

It has been well established that the wedding ring is pagan, as are many other practices that the jws participate in. The fact that they pick and choose what is sanctioned as pagan in their religion just shows that the whole tradition thing they claim to be free of is really quite active in their organization.

Their wedding talks are just barely more flexable than their funeral talks.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Bit off topic but at my wedding the elderly elder who was doing us made a comment about how my husband should appreciate it when he gets home from work and i bring him his slippers!lol not on you nelly mister! I can still see the outrage on my mum and sisters faces now!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

w721/15p.63QuestionsFromReaders***

Questions

FromReaders

?

IsitproperforaChristiantowearaweddingring?—Greece.

Many sincere Christians have asked this question out of a desire to avoid any custom of which God might disapprove. Some of the questioners know that Catholic prelate John H. Newman wrote: "The use of temples, and these dedicated to particular saints, . . . sacerdotal vestments, the tonsure, the ring in marriage, turning to the East, images at a later date, perhaps the ecclesiastical chant, and the Kyrie Eleison, are all of pagan origin, and sanctified by their adoption into the Church." (AnEssayontheDevelopmentoftheChristianDoctrine, 1878) While the facts prove that many of the current religious practices Newman lists definitely were adopted from pagan worship, is that true of the wedding ring?

Actually there are conflicting ideas as to the origin of the wedding ring. Let us give a few examples: "Originally . . . the ring was a fetter, used to bind the captive bride." (ForRicher,forPoorer) "The ring is a relatively modern substitute for the gold coin or other article of value with which a man literally purchased his wife from her father." (TheJewishWeddingBook) "The wedding ring is supposed to be of Roman origin, and to have sprung from the ancient custom of using rings in making agreements." (AmericanCyclopædia) "Various explanations have been given of the connection of the ring with marriage. It would appear that wedding-rings were worn by the Jews prior to Christian times."—TheInternationalCyclopaedia.

It is thus seen that the precise origin of the wedding ring is uncertain. Even if it were a fact that pagans first used wedding rings, would that rule such out for Christians? Not necessarily. Many of today’s articles of clothing and aspects of life originated in pagan lands. The present time divisions of hours, minutes and seconds are based on an early Babylonian system. Yet, there is no objection to a Christian’s using these time divisions, for one’s doing so does not involve carrying on false religious practices.

Of course, our concern is greater as regards the use of wedding rings, since this relates, not to minor secular matters, but to the marriage relationship, which the Christian rightly views as sacred before God. Really, the question is not so much whether wedding rings were first used by pagans but whether they were originally used as part of false religious practices and stillretainsuchreligioussignificance. As has been shown, the historical evidence does not allow for any definite conclusion on this. What does the Bible say about the use of rings?

The Bible shows that some of God’s servants in the past wore rings, even ones that had special meaning attached to them. Wearing a signet ring could indicate that one had received authority to act in behalf of the ruler who owned it. (Gen. 41:42; Num. 31:50; Esther 8:2, 8; Job 42:11, 12; Luke 15:22) So, while wedding rings are not mentioned, these true worshipers clearly did not scruple against using rings for more than mere adornment.

Some persons say that a wedding ring represents one’s unending love and devotion in marriage. The increasing divorce rate in many lands where married persons usually wear a wedding ring proves that this meaning is more imagined than real. Nonetheless, for the majority of persons, including Christians, in lands where wedding rings are common, the ring is an outward indication that the wearer is a married person. In other localities the same point is shown in a different way, such as by a woman’s wearing a certain style of clothing.

Of course, a wedding ring is by no means a Christian requirement. One Christian might decide not to wear a wedding ring, because of conscience, personal taste, cost, local custom, or some other reason. Yet another Christian might decide to indicate his married status by means of a wedding ring. Hence, in the final analysis the decision is a personal one, to be made in accord with the conscientious views one holds.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

w929/1p.30QuestionsFromReaders***

Questions

FromReaders

Do

Jehovah’sWitnessesavoidcelebratingbirthdaysbecausethepracticehadsomereligiousmeaninginancienttimes?

Celebrating birthdays is rooted in superstition and false religion, but that is not the sole or prime reason why Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid the practice.

Some customs that were once religious in nature no longer are in many places. For example, the wedding ring once had religious significance, but in most places today, it no longer does. Hence, many true Christians accept the local custom of wearing a wedding ring to give evidence that a person is married. In such matters, what generally is influential is whether a practice is now linked to false religion.—See "Questions From Readers" in TheWatchtower of January 15, 1972, and October 15, 1991.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit