A preaching blitz in Israel?

by Pistoff 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I have heard that the WT is putting together a clandestine preaching blitz for Israel, thought I saw someone comment on it here too.

Has anyone heard anything?

• hoser
    hoser
    Yes There was a call for qualified publishers from canada to go preach in Israel. Some I know are there right now.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff
    A call from the platform, hoser?
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Has anyone else heard of an announcement asking for volunteers to go to Israel?
  • insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    a statement was read in the Canadian english speaking congs for english/hebrew speaking people to join a special campaign throughout 2015 and go 2 weeks or more to preach in Israel
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I don't understand why Israel of all places.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

Thanks, Inside and hoser.

I wonder if this is a regular thing, or something they just came up with?

I know that fundies are just obsessed with converting Jews in Israel, and go to great lengths to hide their efforts, as it is illegal to try to convert in Israel.

Is there a fundie on the GB??

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH
    as far as i know it is not illegal to convert people in Israel
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

joe:

That is what I am wondering too; have they picked up a fundamentalist mindset about the onset of the tribulation, that a hard effort must be made to convert the jews?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Inside:

You are right, technically no, but:

"Proselytizing is legal in the country and missionaries of all religious groups are allowed to proselytize all citizens; however, a 1977 law prohibits any person from offering material benefits as an inducement to conversion. It was also illegal to convert persons under 18 years of age unless one parent were an adherent of the religious group seeking to convert the minor. Despite the legality of proselytism, the government has taken a number of steps that encouraged the perception that proselytizing is against government policy. For example, the MOI has detained individuals suspected of being “missionaries,” and required of such persons bail and a pledge to abstain from missionary activity, in addition to refusing them entry into the country. It maintained denunciations of such activity from antimissionary groups like Yad L'Achim in its border control databases. The MOI has also cited proselytism as a reason to deny student, work, and religious visa extensions, as well as to deny permanent residency petitions. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) promised the Knesset in 1986 to refrain from all proselytism voluntarily in conjunction with receiving a building permit for its Jerusalem Center following protests from the Orthodox community.

(italics mine)

source: http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/2010/148825.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit