A case of "Monkey see, Monkey do"?

by rockhound 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rockhound
    rockhound

Does any of this sound a little familiar?

w588/1p.460DawnsaNewErafortheIrish***

From childhood the Irish have been taught that every religion in the world is opposed to their religion, that theirs is the only one having divine right to exist, that all other religions are merely tolerated and that they continue through the benevolent sufferance of the Catholic clergy. They are taught that Bible knowledge is not necessary for Christians, only a strict adherence to and belief in the church and its religious leaders is all-important. To keep their flocks from reading Bible literature the clergy tell their parishioners that it is communistic. This seems to frighten them sufficiently so they will not investigate for themselves.

Fear has a great hold on the people. People are afraid of what their neighbors, their friends, relatives and clergy might think if they were even so much as to read the Bible on their own. For centuries the clergy have dominated their lives, told them what they can read, To ask a sound religious question is a demonstration of lack of faith in God and the church, according to the clergy. As a result, the Irish people do very little independent thinking. They are victims of the clergy and fear; but freedom is in sight.

Could this be a case of "Monkey see, Monkey do" or the "Pot calling the Kettle black"?

ROCKHOUND

• TheMan
    TheMan

Wow, absolutely. Simply switch out "Irish" for "JW" and you could leave pretty much the rest of the article intact! Although, I wonder if the JWs were as legalistic back in the '50s as they are today? I want to say yes, considering all the JWs put themselves through with WW II as an example, but was it always as big of a no-no back then to investigate other religions once in? I'm sure there's some quotes out there that could clear that up, but was it really a disfellowshipping offense? I've heard some in the org say that although many of the beliefs are the same, the attitude of judging others and paying attention to rules and regs really developed in the 70's and beyond.. Again that's heresay.. Does anyone agree or disagree? (I'm too young to know!)

• startingover
    startingover

What is the correct date for that quote?

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I'm guessing it should be 58, as in 1958. I'm missing that year's bound volume, so I can't confirm it for you right now.

• TheMan
    TheMan

Yes, the fact that the page number is 490, it's from 1958. Later on, the magazines would be numbered 1-32 for each one, not continuously.

• rockhound
    rockhound

Hi Startingover,

I copied this quote from the Watchtower 2001 CD

1958 Aug. 1st Watchtower

Article "Dawn a new era for the Irish"

ROCKHOUND

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit