XENA - please tell me about your Mall birthday party!

by snickers 3 Replies latest jw friends

• snickers
    snickers

Hello -

without hijacking another thread... my daughter is turning 12 in April and I'd love to hear about your Mall scavenger hunt party! Did you let the girls loose in the Mall by themselves?

I LOVE the idea - please share!

- snickers

• Xena
    Xena

Hey just saw this.

We all met up in the food court and had a few tables with balloons attached to the chairs as "command central". There were 12 girls total including the birthday girl. We drew names out of a hat and made up 4 teams, 3 teams with 3 girls and one team with 4 girls. Made sure they all had at least one cell phone between em (not hard here as out of 12 girls 8 of them had their cells with them), gave them a list of things to do which also had both mine and my ex's cell phone numbers on it so they could call us if they had a problem, a pen to mark items off and a disposable camera and let them loose in the mall with a time limit of 50 minutes.

Some of the items on the list were:

Get an employment application

Get a perfume sample

Picture of a cactus

Picture of a person with pink hair

Picture of a team member kissing a maniquin

So it was an assortment of things they had to ask for, do and find. They got very inventive I have to say! And had lots of fun in the process. When they got back I took the cameras to get the film developed while they ate some chinese from the food court. Unfortunately we had a glitch with getting the film developed and it took longer than expected. That is one area of the party I would revisit. At one point we were going to have the girls just take pictues with their cell phones but decided against it for several reasons ie they might run out of memory and we wanted to be able to keep the pictures taken for birthday memories. Despite the problem getting the film developed the girls had a great time and lots of the parents loved the idea....no clean up...not much investment in decorations...parents get to drink coffee and chat during party....pre-teen girls entertained with ease! To counter the problem with the cameras I probably would allow more time for the party, ours was only 2 hours.

Last year we did a murder mystery party was a lot of fun and big hit as well. They have ones made for that age group and specifically for girls (just google murder mystery party). We went with an adult version because my daughter wanted the "death by chocolate" one but made it more age appropriate. The girls enjoyed dressing up for it and having to act in character but, needless to say, there is more involved in the way of food, decorations and clean-up.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

• snickers
    snickers

THANKS so much for your ideas!

We don't know anyone that's had this type of birthday party yet and it's going to be a blast!

- snickers

• Xena
    Xena

Let me know how it goes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit