The Central Doctrine

by gibsite 3 Replies latest jw friends

• gibsite
    gibsite

I posted the following on "Beliefs Doctrines & Practices" and the silence was deafening. Perhaps someone here is willing to comment ?
    -------------------------
    "I have no wish to appear disrespectful to Jehovah's Witnesses but as a recent "study" I have to take issue with them on their central doctrine.
    Anybody with even a basic understanding of historical chronology is aware that the dating of events in ancient history is done purely on a relative basis. There is absolutely no possibility that by simply applying a given number of solar years to such events we can arrive at a precise, or even approximate, date on our modern calendar. No device or method exists which would enable this to be done.

The issue is not one of whether we accept the chronology of Jehovah's Witnesses over the chronology of secular historians and chronologists because neither can be attached precisely to our calendar. Secular historians and chronologists do not in fact claim to be able to achieve this so it is not a matter of opinion but a matter of simple fact.

Without the ability to attach events in ancient history precisely to our modern calendar there can be no "1914" doctrine, without the "1914" doctrine there can be no "Faithful and Discreet Slave" doctrine and without the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" doctrine there can be no ..............!!!

I am sorry if I have oversimplified the matter and would like a response from anyone who feels this to be the case".

• JBean
    JBean

Good points... I'm bringing this to the "top" 'cos I know someone out there has some ideas on this...right? Unfortunately, I'm not very "up" on doctrinal issues.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Unless the Governing Body/Writing Committee can provide new information to replace or improve the current flawed chronology, then you are in fact correct.

I think most of the thinking world already knows this fact. Until more JW's escape from behind the "theocratic curtain", we will have to watch the WTBS fall apart piece by piece.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Gibsite,

By "Relative Basis" do you mean that events were dated by, say, their nuymber of years from a specific event such as a great victory, and as such all dates that are referred to collapse like a set of dominoes when just one date is incorrect?

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit