Problems with pets.

by greendawn 9 Replies latest social family

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you ever get trouble with your pets? I have a dog and I want it to be free to roam in this quiet semi urban area with plenty of fields around but I can't because it will search around, find females and enter into private gardens and yards to have sex with them. Of course the owners may not appreciate this and create a scene or ensnare him and hand him over to animal protection as a stray or perhaps poison him. So unpleasant though this may be for him he has to be confined to my yard when not out on a walk with me. Castrating him to keep him quiet is not an option.

• needproof
    needproof

Why is castrating not an option?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Its nice that you want your dog to have freedom but even if it was neutered that just isnt practical. Having a dog is a massive though rewarding responsibility. the only way you could really do that is if you had an isolated farm or house.

• needproof
    needproof

Crumpet, dogs can be trained to come back immediately, not to run about in other people's gardens etc. You dont need to live somewhere remote to get the rewards.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've never had a dog, so I can't really relate to your particular problem. I do, however, sometimes encounter problems with people because of my bird. I live in a detatched house, so noise isn't a problem. The problem is that some people insist that I should get rid of the bird. Why? Because he takes up a lot of my free time. Translated, they want me to get rid of Rocco so I will have more free time to do favours for them. These same people only call me when they want something. Needless to say, it would be more advantageous for me to get rid of them, not Rocco, who I consider to be my family. I made this clear to one person just on Monday night, and I feel very good about it.

Ok, enough of me ranting, but you provided me with the perfect opportunity.

I know nothing about dogs, but I understand the intensity of the bond between a person and their beloved pet.

I sincerely hope you find a solution.

W

• needproof
    needproof

Finally Free, Rocco looks great! I totally agree - the bond between people and their pets is great - something only animal owners really understand!

You are right, don't listen to the idiots who insist you get rid of Rocco.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Neutering a dog seems to me like an act of mutilation I'd rather let it go free. Having a dog is a great responsibility, it shouldn't bark too much especially at night, shouldn't litter the streets and other public places etc Finally Free, you shouldn't get rid of Rocco for anyone's sake especially for those not so helpful to you.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Do they have Invisible fences where you live?

My daughter has 2 Leonburger dogs and they are huge . She also has the in the ground invisible electric fence. It keeps them in the yard!

My gripe with them is they have a bad habit of sticking their large nose in your butt!..Drives me crazy. One attacks the front while the other attacks the rear!

I'm gonna get one of those fences and wear it as a belt..shock those noses before they can stick it in my private area!
    I'll show them who the boss is..

Snoozy..

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Greendawn I think dogs are happier after they have been spayed and neurtered. I have 6 dogs and just recently had the youngest spayed.

Male dogs that are not neutered are a problem for themselves and others because they are driven to mate. When they do find a female in heat we end up with a littler of unwanted puppies that often end up in medical research and dog pounds. The very few that do find a home are very few.

They don't know what they lost! They are just much more content to be your friend.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

It's not mutilating to spay or neuter. It's a kindness to the dog (or cat). The mating instinct is not a matter of choice to an animal. Rather, it is a form of temporary insanity that totally controls them. They are helpless to resist it. When it takes over, they will:

roam for miles following the scent of the female in heat,

starving or eating trash, feces, or dead things,

catch mange or other diseases,

get into fights, often to the death,

bite interfering owners of the other animals involved, or animal control officers called to take them away,

get hit by cars, buses, or trains,

get permanently lost or stolen or even killed.

Any puppies produced are usually of mixed breed and unwanted. They have little chance of finding a loving home. The Humane Societies euthanize thousands of purebred dogs every year. The mongrels have even less chance, even though they are often wonderful pets.

In contrast, a neutered dog is content to stay home. Its behavior is stable, predictable, even around other dogs. Their loyalty to their owner is supreme. They respond better to training. They live a long, healthy, happy life.

Which is the more responsible and loving thing to do? Spay or neuter, preferably while they are young.

Susan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit