Just finished a great book

by New Worldly Translation 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I've just finished the Prince of the Marshes by Rory Stewart. It's an account of his time as deputy governer of provinces in Iraq and his disillusionment with the direction of the coalition and their misunderstanding of the middle east. He's one of the few western writers who gives an honest and knowledgable account and opinon of what's going on and he manages to do it without seeming judgemental to either side.

For people not interested in politics his book The Places In Between is one of the best travel accounts I've read. It traces the authors trek on foot across Afghanistan, which was part of a larger 6000 mile journey on foot that he made. It's a perfect little gem of a book and funny too. Made me realise how little we know about that country, and also how little Afghanis know about what's going on in the country due to their remoteness and disparate nature.

http://www.rorystewartbooks.com/index.htm

• luna2
    luna2

Sounds like a couple of very interesting books, NWT. I'd especially like to check out the travel one.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'd really recommend the travel book Luna2. It's the type of book I thought had died out in the 50's when global transport made the world smaller and travel writing became a safe adventure and less wonderous somehow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit