"We never pass the plate, but...."

by dedpoet 3 Replies latest jw friends

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I just popped on to the wts website (well, I am very bored, waiting for a workman to turn up here), and came across this piece of drivel from the "Jehovahs Witnesses - Who are they? What do they believe?" brochure. I doctored it a little, to give the true picture. The official wts policy is in black, and my additions are in red.

What financial contributions are expected of those attending meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Regarding money contributions, the apostle Paul said: "Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." ( 2 Corinthians 9:7 ) At the Kingdom Halls and convention auditoriums of Jehovah's Witnesses which have to be paid for, even if the jws own the auditorium no collections are ever taken, but if you become a jehovahs witness,youwill be constantly reminded that Boxes are placed so that it is convenient for any who wish to contribute to do so and reminded at the end of each assembly that the event is operating at a loss, so please give generously.. No one knows what or if others give. Some are able to give more than others;and will be better thought of, however they conduct themselves otherwise some may not be able to give anything. and will be made to feel guilty about it Jesus showed the right view when he commented on the treasury box at the temple in Jerusalem and those contributing: It is one's capacity to give loads of money to the org that counts, not the amount of money

Actually, parts of that brochure are almost entertaining. Maybe I'll doctor a little more later.

dedpoet

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Yep, we don't pass the plate, but contact us to leave us the farm. And thanks for all the gas and time you use to peddle our literature for nothing!

Outaservice

Also, the church we attend in Florida, that is supposely a part of 'BabylonThe Great' also dosen't pass any plates, nor ask for the farm!

• Xena
    Xena

Another JW fallacy regarding other religions, not all religions pass a plate and most of the ones that I have been to that do are very clear that they don't expect you to contribute unless you want to and no one looks at what anyone else is donating.

One of the reasons I tend to encourage people to at least visit a few churches after leaving the dubs is so you can shake off these type of beliefs along with other doctrinal stuff.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    One of the reasons I tend to encourage people to at least visit a few churches after leaving the dubs is so you can shake off these type of beliefs along with other doctrinal stuff.

That is a really good idea Xena. I would also say try to be open minded when visiting other churches - dont go looking for fault as you will surely find it. I went to several - all with a chip on my shoulder and so i rebuffed some people who were very kind to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit