My Son, The Church, My Son in Law, and Iraq

by Amazing 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

My son-in-law has received his orders to go to Iraq. He will leave soon. I would go in his place, as he is like a son to me, but I am too old and not in good health, and the military will not take me. He will be there nine months. His enlistment was up in February, but he was extended for one year. He leaves behind my daughter and four fantastic children ... my grandchildren. He served at Bethel at one time, but was forced to leave due to political pressure and lies told about him.

My oldest Son called me tonight and told me that he is becoming Roman Catholic. I had no idea he was doing this and no involvement in the process ... so this a complete surprise to me. I was eating noodles when he told me ... I coughed up and hacked and choked as he told me. I am still contemplating what this means. It is one thing when I do things, but another when my children do them.

I love my children more than life itself. I would unconditionally die for them without question. So, now that this reality hits them, and me, and my entire family, I just don't know what to make of it except that it is God's will.

Pax

Jim Whitney

• Navigator
    Navigator

We will know with you that your son-in-law will complete his tour of duty in safety and return home to you and his family. Remember, it is all about love! Here is a quote from Kahil Gibran:

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, Speak to us of Children.

And he said:

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls swell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Jim,

I will pray for your son in-law that he come home safe. He sure is brave to go to Iraq. I will pray for your daughter too and the kids.

Congrats on the news about your son joining the church. It is nice when our children share our faith in God, isn't it? I am hoping some day my kids come around too. They are still young, 12 and 14.

I am with you on love for my kids. I would definately give up my life for them. Kids really ground you and teach you unconditional love like no one else can.

Peace, Lilly

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Both sons are doing what they feel is the right thing. Just like we did. Sometimes its wonderful, sometimes its scary.Sometimes-both. I wish them and you well. Your SIL, I thank and your son, I admire. Hard to row agaist the tide of ones life. Both men have courage and are lucky to have a dad that loves them so much. Jim, you have a great family.

Shelly

• NanaR
    NanaR

Jim, You have raised good and responsible sons. I have read your experiences; I believe you are an outstanding father. I hope your daughter and grandchildren are close by so that you can be a comfort and support to them during this time. I volunteer for a local Veterans organization and greatly appreciate the sacrifices that are made in the name of Duty to Country. Your other son has found Christ, just as you did. When worrying about my children, who are still without Him, I remind myself that Christ seeks us even as we seek Him. He knows His own. I will include all of you in my prayers. Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit