My Latest JW Blog

by Abandoned 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I have written another blog about the damage I've suffered from being a JW. It's located at http://blog.myspace.com/improg.

Here is the content if you don't feel like going to myspace.

I didn't realize until this year, how much baggage I'm still carrying around from my many years associated with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

From my experience, I believe that organization is both a cult and destructive. There are a lot of reasons why I say this, but one of the primary ones is related to the view they paint of God. From almost the first day of your Bible study with the Witnesses, you learn that God is going to destroy all those people who aren't following the rules dictated by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

If you don't attend meetings regularly, you are showing disrespect for God and He's going to let Christ Jesus kill you at Armageddon. If you don't preach enough, He's likewise going to be mad at you and all you'll have to look forward to is being destroyed by His executioner. What happens with all this negative programming, is that you start to see God, not as a loving, helpful Father, but as a vindictive madmen, ready to exact vengeance for the pettiest of crime.

On the one hand, they exhort you to draw close to God and on the other, they paint a picture of God that is worse than mankind's worst criminals. Adolf Hitler killed millions of Jews in World War 2. But those deaths are not even a percentage point of the billions that would be killed if Armageddon were to happen today.

If questioned, the witnesses will answer that who gets destroyed is left up to Jehovah (what they believe is God's personal name). But in reality, they teach that all other religions are from Satan the Devil and an abomination before God that will be destroyed in the fast-approaching Great Tribulation. So, while they side-step the question of whether they believe that only Jehovah's Witnesses will be saved, that is exactly what is taught in the Kingdom Halls.

They also teach that if you ever stop being a Jehovah's Witness once you have been baptized that you are condemned and are simply killing time until God destroys you. So, between the indoctrinated belief that God now hated me because I couldn't follow their Byzantine collection of rules and regulations – a collection of rules and regulations that more resembles the teachings of the Pharisees than those of Jesus – and the fear of living in a universe run by an emotionally unwell God, I have a mound of worthless baggage that I carry around every day.

I'm making a lot of progress though. I'm recognizing the negative beliefs and thoughts that kept me shackled to that dysfunctional religion and I'm replacing them with ones that are rational, empowering, and based on love.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Congratulations on the marvellous effort you are putting in. I have read your blog and it is great. The incredible thing about something like this is that you probably will never know who you have given that final impulse to decide to leave this degenirate organisation. You will never ever meet them, nor speak with them, but yet you can gain the satisfaction of knowing that that is what its all about.

Makes it all wothwhile. Need more like you.

Cheers

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I'm making a lot of progress though. I'm recognizing the negative beliefs and thoughts that kept me shackled to that dysfunctional religion and I'm replacing them with ones that are rational, empowering, and based on love.

This is what it's all about. I remember being there. Keep learning...it keeps getting better until you stop!

WLG

• greendawn
    greendawn

Great to see that even blogs are used to expose the JW travesty of a religion. What you wrote carries a lot of punch it reveals to the reader how negative that religion is, in a few sentences. A very judgemental attitude, a very vengeful and demanding God, and how so mysteriously they can cast a spell on people that is very hard to shake off. Despite their sheepish and well meaning appearence they must be kept at a safe distance.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Thanks for the comments you guys. I hope this does reach some people and help them gain the courage to leave the cult.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Abandon,

You have a way of saying things with few words, which is what I like. Keep up your deprograming effort for they will surely help you to live better life, with a few disturbing bumps along the way, as we try to figure out what do we do now that we don't have everything spelled out for in a book of rules that once seem to guide our every step,

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good show, Abandone'!

May your journey be free of incident---edited to add---May your journey be free of "further hurtful" incident.

Beautifully expressed!

CoCo

• Messy
    Messy

"more resembles the teachings of the Pharisees than those of Jesus "

when studying the greatest man book, i found the pharisees really interesting. i started to see connections between them and the society. this woke me up and i started to pay closer attention to the goings-on. this was several years ago the first time it was studied. by the time i was almost gone out, i told my dad that i felt the extra rules and 'technicalities' the elders were giving as reasons i was going to be df'd reminded me of pharisees and my dad told me to watch what i said at the next judicial hearing.

it seemed the more honest i was with the elders, the worse it got. i was df'd for fornication, 'technically' .

but i know in my heart, as obvious as it was that i was df'd because they knew i was never coming back to meetings. they asked me if my husband told me to stop going to meetings, would i listen to him or jehovah. i said "he would never ask that of me" they said: "ok but would you listen to him over jehovah hypothetically if he did ask you to stop going" they kept insisting i answer that question, and i kept asking the relevance. it was no use. the minute i told them that i was sorry about the fornication and that we were getting married next week they said yes that shows repentance BUT your attitude for the last 3 years (avoiding the elders who were stalking me incessantly although i stopped attending 3 years earlier)shows you dont follow jehovah's earthly organization's ways. so i asked am i being dfd for fornication or what? they wouldnt answer. but i know all my friends and family in the jw church think i was df'd cause im a 'wearer of scarlet and purple' .ps. i only slept with the man i married and yet i am considered the equivalent of a prostitute in the eyes of my former best friends.

messy jessy

• willyloman
    willyloman

Excellent work, keep it up. It would be helpful if all the WT critics had the writing skill and reasoning ability that you demonstrate in your blog.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

((((((((((messy))))))))))

That's a sad story, but all too common of one. The elders aren't concerned in helping an individual sheep, they simply want to maintain the staus quo and keep everyone following the guy in front of them. If they stepped back for a larger look, they'd notice that the herd stopped following the master many, many years ago. Oh well, good that you got out

Thanks to everyone for the kind and supportive comments. You guys have made my day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit