Knocking documentary email

by Rebirth 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Rebirth
    Rebirth

So it appears that many local PBS affiliates are refusing to air Knocking according to an email I got this morning from the producers. He beseeched JWs to call their local station and ask for it to be aired because "Other programming directors might get a skewed impression that the community does not want to see KNOCKING, based on only receiving negative calls and letters about Jehovah’s Witnesses. They may have never heard from actual Jehovah’s Witnesses." I was thinking about this and why it struck a nerve with me. The rest of the page is a virtual blueprint of how to get PBS stations to listen to requests to air it. It felt, I don't know, like he is using JWs to pursue his fame. It just doesn't sit well with me. Besides, I felt it was highly unlikely that a group of people in the public decided to call PBS stations and request it not be aired. On the contrary, it was probably JWs who have been hurt by the terrible policies of their organization that have called and requested that both sides of the story be told.

Here is the website referenced above:

http://www.knocking.org/PBS_Station_List.html

• Rooster
    Rooster

Dear Programming Director,

My name is Kevin DeSoto and I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses in your viewing area.

I am interested in seeing the documentary on Jehovah's Witnesses called KNOCKING, which is scheduled to be shown on the PBS series "Independent Lens" May 22, 2007.

I learned from the PBS web site that 75% of all PBS affiliates will broadcast the "Independent Lens" series this season. I hope you are one of those stations. At the very least, I hope you can show the episode of "Independent Lens" that features KNOCKING on May 22, 2007. Or please let me know when you will show this documentary.

Thank you in advance for all the work you do on behalf of public broadcasting.

Sincerely,
    Kevin DeSoto
    Rhode Island

• Rooster
  • Odrade
    Odrade

3:30 through that preview, Seth's mother says that if her son took blood and got his liver transplant, she would "still love him" and he "is still our son." How misleading is that since she may still love him, but would she also shun him if he had a transfusion? It seems apparent from this that he is living at home and dependent on his parents for care. Does he truly have a choice? Or is his stand against accepting blood partially motivated by immediate self-preservation? (As in, he can survive in the "now" -with the direct support of his family and the congregation - only if he remains a loyal JW.) Apparently he did find someone to do the surgery without blood, which is good. But the delusion that he really has a "choice" in the matter is misleading to the viewers of this video.

I also find it strange that this Joel Engardio (sp) who produced/directed the documentary is embraced by this community, in spite of having been raised as a JW, but not accepting it. It seems that the JWs should take issue with his lack of committment to the "truth."

In spite of my negative feelings toward this production, it is likely that I will view it, given the opportunity. I'd like to see the extras and commentary, even though the program appears to be a severely biased "puff piece" for JWs.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Knocking Documentary is CNN approved

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/122796/1.ashx

I found the below quote on this website. http://www.newday.com/films/Knocking.html and was surprised to read this review from a well known anchor at CNN

"Riveting and illuminating. KNOCKING takes us inside the world of Jehovah's Witnesses in a way that is utterly surprising and moving."
    Anderson Cooper, CNN

If anyone wants to send a response to Anderson Cooper and let him known the real truth about the Witnesses here is the link to do so. I would hope that CNN will consider doing a story on the pedophile ruling in California. Last year I sent info about the JW blood policy to this link and the producers were very interested, until Hurricane Katrina moved in. Maybe if we all contact them with the truth about "the truth" they will consider again.

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html?10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit