Some thoughts on Copyright issues.

by JeffT 4 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I thought of this when reading the thread about e-bay, and decided to give it its own thread.

I'm not a lawyer but as a businessman I've dealt with a lot of legal issues. It is a fundamental point of tort law that you have to prove you're damaged in some way. Example: you hit my car, I have to repair it, that costs me money; that's a tort. If you hit the curb in front of my house and do no damage, that's an accident, but not a tort; no one has been materially hurt.

So the Watchtower wants to claim that it has been hurt by people posting it's material on line, or selling it on e-bay or whatever. Yet they get tax exempt status, including sales taxes etc because they do not sell their literature, they donate it. How have they been damaged? Are they going to claim they're damaged by their own words? This can not be slander because they're the ones that said whatever is being quoted.

This may not be a defense against copyright infringment, but it could certainly be used to stir up trouble over their tax exempt status.

• Scully
    Scully

So the Watchtower wants to claim that it has been hurt by people posting it's material on line, or selling it on e-bay or whatever. Yet they get tax exempt status, including sales taxes etc because they do not sell their literature, they donate it. How have they been damaged? Are they going to claim they're damaged by their own words? This can not be slander because they're the ones that said whatever is being quoted.

The damage, apparently - as we saw in the lawsuit against the Quotes site - is in the fact that the Watchtower's own words are an "embarrassment" to the Watchtower.

Boo-frikkin-hoo. They should be embarrassed printing that crap and attempting to pass it off as Truthâ„¢.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Jeff,

copyright law is not based in torts (that is personal injuries) but has its basis in statutory law.

one frequent consideration when determining a copyright issue has to do with economic interest, but this is generally an issue regarding damages and not a consideration of whether a prima facie infringement has occurred. one thing to keep in mind is not whether the copyright holder is benefiting economicaly from the work or making the best economic use of the work. a work need not have any economic value at all nor the copyright owner have any intention to derive any economic benefit from the work, for the work to be copyrighted and the copyright holder to exercise all rights respecting the work.

one of the principal rights of a copyright owner is to control the disemination and distribution of the work.

the term of copyright protectoin from http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci

is

-----

For works made for hire, and for anonymous and pseudonymous works (unless the author’s identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of copyright will be 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.

----

and for pre -1978 works the expiration for (WTS) works is no sooner than 2047

-----

that would seem to suggest that virtually all WTS pubs are under copyright except for those personally authored or acknowledged like Russell's and Rutherford's which is their date of death plus 70 years.

---------

the E-Bay situation is a complicated one and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out (assuming what has been reported as a WTS "policy" or tactic is true).

the reason why the WTS is on shaky ground with trying to shut down E-Bay sales of WTS publications themselves is because the ownership of a book or work itself is NOT the same as ownership of the copyright (obviously). thus when you buy a book at the bookstore, [I recommend Jim Cramer's Real Money and Mad Money :-)] you aren't buying any copyrights, just ownership of the thng itself as mere property. The law recognizes the right to transfer that property and that is all that E-Bay does - allow people to transfer their property to others.

On the other hand, you can buy a book but you aren't allowed to make photocopies afterwards and sell them out the back door or on E-Bay so that kind of activity will be an infringement. And keep in mind if the copy is from one medium to another, as in digitizing a copyrighted work and putting it on a CD-ROM it is still an infringement. - In part that was Quotes mistake to make CD-ROMs for sale that were copies of copyrighted materials and of course creating a webpage of copyrighted works in excess of Fair Use doctrine is an infringement.

• VM44
    VM44

Rutherford died in 1942, however, as the Watch Tower did not renew any of Rutherford's books, they are all in the public domain today.

I believe the same is true for all the Watchtower books published up through the early 1950's. They simply did not renew the copyrights.

However, the copyright for the 1963 Babylon the Great book was renewed, and so the WT might continue to hold some rights on that book.

If I recall correctly, the WT also renewed the copyright on the 1958 book, Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose. Someone might want to check the copyright status for this book.

--VM44

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm not making myself clear. I think the issue is NOT copyright law, per se. It's what happens when some people go to the IRS and say look, these people are claiming tax exemptions for distributing their literature, but then complaining when some one else does it.

Of course what they won't say is that they don't want the quotes out there at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit