Bring it: Mac OS X Versus Windows Vista

by V 8 Replies latest jw friends

• V
    V

I am ready to upgrade my system (currently Windows XP) and am seriously considering switching to Apple.

The new Windows Vista is going to be released soon, and it finally looks like a Mac anyway. Who wants to follow a follower anyway?

I need a powerful workstation for graphics, webdesign and 3D animation.

Plus, I am very impressed with the new iPhone and believe that the iPod culture will continue to keep MacWorld in the ascendant.

Vote your vernerate viewpoint without vacillation. Vista vis-a-vis OS X -- vie!

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I need a powerful workstation for graphics, webdesign and 3D animation

This isn't so much the OS as it is the graphics card and processor/motherboard.

I am very impressed with the new iPhone

Do you mean the Cisco/Linksys branded iPhone? Apple stole the trademarked "iPhone" name from Cisco without coming to an agreement with them to license it first. Bad move by Apple.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I've heard that Window's Vista will not allow playback of mp3's and other media unless they have been verified as being purchased by the user. They also have exclusive rights to DirectX 10. There's no way I'll be using this OS if its true.

GBL

• jinjam
    jinjam

i am an apple fanatic, never got a virus once (touch wood), i'm an interior designer so i use photoshop and illustrator quite often,archicad is something i have just started with.

sure you could use pc with the creative suite, but mac is unique as you have amazing short cuts and its really user friendly, i have a friend who is a multimedia designer, and he is quite happy with his mac as well, but in the end you will decide!

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I'm using Vista on a dual core laptop with 2 gig of ram and it's running perfectly so far. Very smooth. I can play any MP3's so far without trouble.

At this point I would say it's a very solid fast smooth OS and I thought XP was a home run.

I also use Linux, but not Apple and I'm not saying it's better than OS 10.

The Vista I'm using is the Business edition final release.

Just my 2 cents.

• TD
    TD
    I need a powerful workstation for graphics, webdesign and 3D animation.

Hardware-wise, there isn't a whole lot of difference between them anymore. The software you intend to use (Or not use) should probably drive the decision

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    I am very impressed with the new iPhone
    Do you mean the Cisco/Linksys branded iPhone? Apple stole the trademarked "iPhone" name from Cisco without coming to an agreement with them to license it first. Bad move by Apple.

And I hope Cisco pounds them into the dirt for it. Apple isn't playing with some namby-pamby weenie company over this one.

I don't have an opinion on the Mac vs. Vista, but I would be cautious about basing (partially) a computer purchase on a particular piece of hardware that may be involved in a lawsuit in some way. Especially when it is Apple vs. the company that makes the vast majority of the big-time networking gear.

Excuse me...I gotta go pet a router or a switch and get my fix.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I don't have the full release of Vista yet but I've run the beta versions and RC1 and RC2 through signing up for the beta testing. I quite like it although it's a little bloated and takes up too many resources for my taste. It's easily streamlined with a little tinkering though. DirectX 10 being Vista only is because it's fundamentally different to DX9 and not just an update to it and XP can't run it.

I had a mac G5 that I bought for design and 3D work but it was actually slower than my PC of a similar spec. When I bought 3DS Max, which is PC only I decided to sell the G5. Truth is for web design, 3D animation and modelling software designers put more resources into PC development than Mac. Macs are pretty and the OS gives you less trouble than Windows but ultimately Windows has so many resources to call on in terms of software, vendor support and sheer horsepower if your looking at a workstation with something like a Firegl or Quadrofx.

Hold on though can't you have the best of both worlds cos doesn't the new OS X running on a Core 2 duo dual boot between both operating systems with a little tweaking.

• Watching the Watchtower
    Watching the Watchtower

Having used Mac OS X and Vista on a daily basis do to my job, I would say if you want a stable well designed computer, go with Apple. Here's a scenerio that most people will deal with on any windows OS. I have a camcorder, that I frequently edit with, it's a standard firewire device that both windows and OS X have drivers built in for. I plug it into my mac, turn it on, and blam it just works, no pop ups, no wizards. Do the same with exact same device on Vista. I get 4 or 5 popups to install drivers, even though the drivers are actually there, I've now taken time away from the device. Now hook the device up on a different port on the firewire bus, same thing happens again on Vista, you would think that wouldn't be the case if you had just installed the drivers. Apple also has a very powerful work station namely the Mac Pro which comes with 1 or 2 Dual Core 64bit (Woodcrest) Xeon Processors (these are the server class processors) and you have options for upto 4 PCI-Express video cards, dual link support. 16 GB or memory, it depends on how much you want to spend and how you configure it. This is in a tower case, so it's pretty configurable. I have a Mac Book, it's the first laptop I've owned that I don't have trouble typing on the keyboard, it's very comfortable to use, and the built in touch pad is very usefull also. The thing abou OS X is that it's very easy to use for a novice, and pretty powerful for an expert since it's based on BSD (Another unix varrient). The interface is well thought out, which is why they get coppied.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit