Not sure I count for much?

by SammyJoUK 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• SammyJoUK
    SammyJoUK

Hello to all .......
    .......and after two weeks trying to work out what is going on here I think I have it.. possibly... and if I have sorted it out, then I think I am welcome to post here with my little story.

I have never been a JW, but looking back I thank God that something stopped me, because I came real close.

In 1993 my life was at rock bottom, ... girl friend had left me for another man, taken our son and disappeared.... no job.. no where to live (literally).... and various adictions, mainly gambling and drink... (ohh that's part of the reason she left, although many have said that I did more around the house than this girl I was with.. )anyway I digress.

At this time I had few friends, but one that I could always turn to was Carol. She was bubbly lady, divorced, teenage child, lots of 'stuff' going on, but what a laugh.

Now Carol was 'studying', and now and then I would arrive in the middle or just before a meeting. I actually stopped and listened twice, but none of what was being taught went in, it all seemed wrong.
    I should say that she had been sttudying for a long time, a very long time and I'll give credit where credit is due.. this elder that was coming to see her had some staying power...lol

On the 16th May everything came to a head for me, and through a set of circumstances that you can read on our web site.. (full testimony) I ended up in an Elim Penticostal church.

Well this boy freaked out.. I mean I was brought up in a Church of England.. do as your told, everything in the proper place ....sort of church..... folks falling over and talking in these weird tongues just wasn't on.... only one thing for it......... RUN!

Not run home.. run to Carol... after all if God had just shouted at me, and I was supposed to respond.. better go to the only person I knew that would talk to me about God... Carol.. my JW friend.!!!

Well, I came through her front door, then I knocked.. then she tried to calm me down and after a good few minutes we started to chat...
    Now Carol should have oviously told me that the Penti church was not of the Lord.. but thats not what she said.. what she said will stay with me for eternity..

"Sammy, do you think you have heard from God tonight"? She never was one to mess with words...
    "Yes,... erm No.." I answered, "I mean I don't think Carol, I know, and I MEAN I know!"
    "Well then, you had better go for it then, hadn't you?"

The next day, again through some weird circumstances, I gave my life to Jesus. What ya might call a 'crash, bang wallop conversion'.

Within a week God had spoken to me through a brother and shown me that Carol had been used by Him to get me to accept the Lord as my personal saviour.
    The Lords words to me one night were quite simple, "don't you ever, ever be a door slammer! Go and learn all there is to learn, don't stop.. .and always be there to listen to these people, then give them My truth, but above all, don't ever slam a door in the face of a JW!!"

Thats why I am here, not because I used to once be part of the Watch Tower, but because with my dieing breath I will work to save those in this cult.

God bless all here, it has given me so, so much faith to carry on, reading how many have found grace and truth, (taking a second to thank the Lord right now.........)

Please come and see us on Paltalk, message me on any of the programs below, and Praise the Lord we serve a GREAT BIG GOD, able to cope with all this and more

In Him
    Sammy

Email: See below
    MSN nick: [email protected]
    AIM nick: SammyJoUK1
    Yahoo Messenger: sammyjo4uk
    PalTalk nick: SammyJoUK
    OUR home page http://beam.to/servants4him
    AWOKE's home page http://beam.to/Awoke

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Sam,

Welcome to our forum - glad you decided to join us. However, I'm an agnostic - and plan on staying that way for a while. I do know that I am determined I will never - NEVER - join another religious organization.

20 yrs Catholic, 30 yrs Jehovah's Witness is quite enough damage, thank you.

Just a hunch, you and AGuest, JustAMom, and a couple of others might hit it off......but be forewarned, you will be in a minority.

waiting

• SammyJoUK
    SammyJoUK

Oh WoW, a reply from an Emperor ... yikes better behave myself.. lol

Thanks 'waiting', but you have gone and confused me now.. not a hard thing to do.. believe me buddy ..

"you will be in a minority"... do you mean EX JW's that are now bible thumping, born again, praise God on high.. (ermm.. think man, think...) ohh.. Spirit filled, Holy Ghost powered ... (takes breath).... shake our hands in the air.... Christians?... or do you mean folks that have never been JW's?

Just a question?

Take care
    Sammy

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

First off, welcome to the boards Sammy.

I cannot speak for everyone here. Some are still involved in the Witnesses, most are not. Some are still involved but questioning. As far as us becoming "bible thumpers" in another religion once we're away from JW, it's hard. Once you question the religion that had such a tight hold on you, esp if it was all you ever knew of religion, you start to question all religions. Some will find it suits them to start attending a different church. But from what I've noticed in my short time here, most do not. I myself am not sure what you would call me....perhaps confused. I've been away from the JW's completely for a year and a half, only I am just now starting to do my own research, etc on the religion. At first, because of personal experiences, I just wanted away and wanted to forget it ever happened (which just doesn't work). It is hard to get involved in religion again when you just got out of one that was so controlling of your every thought and move. It's hard to understand if you've never been in the situation, and even if you have been it's confusing at first.

I hope that you enjoy your time spent here. Just to let you know up front....please don't try to "convert" me to christianity. I have yet to heal from the JW and am very bitter at the present time (I will admit to it) and may retaliate in harsh words when I really don't mean to be so hateful. Please just don't try to "convert" me to your way of life. I am happy for you, that you've found something that makes you so happy.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Sam,

I think you're ok, but when you come sailing on the robes of christ into this discussion group, you're bound to meet a little derision.

I agree totally with waiting-i too wasted many years. I have a bunch left though, and I think my church will be a quiet forest, and my prayer, thoughts of thanks for a beautiful day. Beyond that, I don't think you can call me religious. Like waiting said, not one prison for another. Organized religion is like sheer rock face. No up or down; all lateral moves.

And I appreciate sweetone's comments. I, too, am very, very bitter. I'm not df'd, just 'marked' as I've been told.

Thanks for the post, sam.

"I pray that I may never see the desert again-hear me God."-Robert Bolt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit