As lurkers, what kept you from posting? Fear? Was there a basis for it?

by What-A-Coincidence 8 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

For me it was the fear of getting 'caught'? If that's the case, just don't give out names, places or dates.

I have been on JWD for over 2 years. The only way 'they' can catch me is if I give out details on the forum.

So lurkers...come out and get EMPOWERED!

WAC

• lurker
    lurker

For me definately fear of getting caught. But now I realize that I most likely will not get caught and loose my relationship with family if I keep everything personal hidden. So yes let's hear from all of you lurkers like me.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I think I was building up confidence by reading the archives really. Getting a jist of the material and trying to figure out where I fit into it and if I would be accepted. I wasn't afraid of getting caught. There couldn't possibly be anything more that they could do to damage my life or the way people veiw me. There's always a fear of course of making a fool of yourself or saying something that you wish you could take back. If you really give what your saying some thought there's nothing to worry about and everybody is going to make a mistake sometime.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I'm just a bit shy & timid until I get to know people.

I think I was told too often when I was little that "Kids are to be seen not heard."

I also have a bad habit of sticking my foot in my mouth. Over the years I've found it best if I just be quiet. :)

• metaspy
    metaspy

I certainly have a fear of being caught. There is much to loose, especially when I have not made up my mind to leave.

• Cindyrenee
    Cindyrenee

I'm just a bit shy & timid until I get to know people.

I think I was told too often when I was little that "Kids are to be seen not heard."

I also have a bad habit of sticking my foot in my mouth. Over the years I've found it best if I just be quiet. :)

Very well put. This is why I read, every day, but rarely post. Somebody else always says exactly what I am feeling. I have NO fear of being caught. This forum has helped me so much. I feel at home lurking here. Thanks all.

• vomit
    vomit

100% fear and rightfully so.
    If A JW wants heat of his back and is on websites like this, they will as sure as F*** turn you in.
    Even if you were a JW apologist, your brother will turn you in, and no questions will be asked why they were on the site in the first place. The Watchtower is full of spies and slanderers.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I wasn't afraid of getting caught. Hell, I don't think anyone in my old congregation even speaks English. I was afraid that this was the final step to becoming a monster. I'd come here and read for a bit and then leave. I haven't been to a meeting in over four years and I was still convinced that this would turn me into someone I'd hate.

Well, the opposite happened. I finally did sign up for an account and start posting because I did totally hate myself. I was tired of starting every day believing this could be the one that god kills me.

What I have learened instead, though, is that the jw don't have the truth. Their gb are not lead by god and they are not the only representatives of the creator here on earth. Hell, they aren't even A representative of the creator.

I've learned that it's OK for me to have doubts and it's OK for me to satisfy those by studying the evidence. I've learned that it's not only OK for me to listen to my intuition, but that things go better for me when I do. I've learned that it's OK for me to follow my dreams because the true GOD isn't insecure or threatened by what I accomplish. He/she actually enjoys seeing me with a smile on my face, doing what I most love to do.

So, if you're lurking, sign up for an account and have a seat at our table. You can talk as little or much as you like. You'll find that the question the jw like to ask, "where will you go to," is just more mind-control nonsense from a group that has perfected controlling minds.

• rowan
    rowan

It took guts to start posting after years of being a lurker. I am a shy person, and I usually feel I do not have anything interesting to say, or what I have thought would be a good reply to a post has already been said on the thread. so I keep on staying in the background. Sometimes I am compelled to response to a post, and do so, but that's rare.

I love this forum and have been spending here 1 hour average every day, for almost five years now. It has been a window to the world and I learned a lot about everything, general culture, etc. And of course, it had a major impact on my shedding off the JW mentality and healing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit