Having children a fundamental right??!!

by hamsterbait 6 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I was talking with a traditional Catholic friend, who was up in arms that in some third world countries (allegedly) people are being given aid only if they agree not to have any more children.

"How can anybody do this? Having children is their right."

In a world that is already being catastrophically damaged in air earth and water by a burgeoning population, is it correct to insist on this? Is it our right to breed and consume without limit until the planet is ruined?

Are we really free to destroy the earth because God instructed us to "be fruitful and multiply, fill the earth and subdue it and have in subjection every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

HB

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

JWs also did not at one time like you having children. GB playing God again

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Personally I don't believe anyone should be forced to not have children because it is a human right to procreate. That being said, with that "right" comes responsiblity. And bringing children into the world when you cannot care for them or feed them is not responsible. When God gave the command to "be fruitful and multiply" the world was a very different place than it is now.

My husband and I chose not to have any more children for several reasons including that we both grew up in very large but extremely poor families and we wanted to give the two kids we have the best life possible. And that means you need money to support them. We simply cannot afford anymore unless we cut out things the two we have need like proper medical care (they both have health issues), braces, college funds, etc.

I can see good points made on each side of this issue. However NO ONE should EVER be denied food or aid they need becaus they refuse to not have more children. Maybe a better thing would be to educate these people on "responsible procreation" instead of making it mandatory. Lilly

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Lovelylill has a lovely comment. I agree. God said to fill the earth, not overfill it or our household to the limit where life is not enjoyable.

Skeeter

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

unfortunately, god overlooked economic prudence when he said "be fruitful....." etc

• acadian
    acadian

Pleasuredome:

unfortunately, god overlooked economic prudence when he said "be fruitful....." etc

I would disagree, man became greedy, power hungry, wanting to put even his fellow man under his subjection and dominace. All actions come with responcibilities. Whether having children, is a right or not,... if you cannot handle the responcibility you should not have children. And that goes for all things. don't take on that which you cannot be responcible for. (where's Kid-B when you need him, I can't spell worth crap) Acadian

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Acadian,

Good point! God made man "Lord of the earth" and his responsbility is what happens to it. And man has done a poor job with the responsibility he was given. Like you said, greed is behind it, poor management of resources, pollution, etc. We cannot blame God for any of that. Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit