Software recommends, anyone?

by GentlyFeral 5 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I finally have an answer to my self-pitying question, "Who would hire a typist with tendonitis?" The answer, of course, is "Me!" – given decent voice-recognition and OCR software. I've already done some copyediting for someone who's revising a textbook – I didn't have acres of first-draft typing to do, the work was fun, and the pay was good. But I'd like to be ready for future customers who might want help with a first draft.

Furthermore, I have a line on some serious mentoring.

So, software mavens – what's the best speech-to-text and OCR software you know of? The Dragon Naturally Speaking demo at nuance.com is impressive – is it within shouting distance of reality?

Cheers,

gently feral

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Gently Feral

The department I work at uses Dragon Naturally Speaking. They road tested quite a few ones on the market but Dragon was the best by far.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I agree with peachs, I've heard the dragon one is the best

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

One of the surgeons I worked with used Dragon Naturally Speaking, and he only used the best of everything. I'm sure he looked into all the software available before deciding, he was pretty thorough like that.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

OK, folks, so I'll probably go with Naturally Speaking for voice software.

Can anyone recommend an OCR app? The one that comes with my HP Photosmart C4180 is underwhelming.

gently feral

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Yes Dragon!

for OCR: Abbyy Finereader Pro

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit