Directv High Speed Internet

by averyniceguy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

I am considering to get Directv High Speed Internet. I do have high speed internet with another company, but Directv has been offering me pretty good deals, so If you have Directv High Speed Internet, I would like to hear from you and tell me how you like it, etc.....Thank you!

• kls
    kls

I have it and love it but don't have anything to compare it to with the exception of Dial up. I live in the country so cable is out of the question for me . The Satellite dish is kinda big and is attached to my roof where with cable you don't have a dish, as far as reliability, i can't complain .

• one
    one

IF you use VoIP, such as Skype, it MAY experience delay, it takes longer than cable or fiber for the signal to go up and then down

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Reliability: Pretty good except when it's raining, or really windy.

Customer Service: Terrible.

Price: Expensive -- but when you live in the country you don't have many alternatives except dial-up.

Maintenance: Takes awhile to get repairs done, and for someone knowledgable to do them.

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Rain WILL take it's toll. I have Directv and have had 'rain fade' occur sometimes when it doesn't seem to be raining at ground level. This is the main reason I have not gotten the high speed service.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I had Starband satellite internet and it was OK but the tech support was awful. As mentioned above the five second delay will never allow you to use any Voip type devices (I tried). I finally had it crash and tech support could not help. At that time my local phone company was offering DSL for half the price of satellite. When I first got Starband that was also my only option since I do not cable or DSL at all in my area.

Alot of computer techs are also unfamiliar with parts of it's operation so you are stuck with telephone tech support. IF it snows you have to go out and clean off the dish to get a clear signal also.

Has anyone used Clearwire yet?

• done4good
    done4good

I don't have it, but keep in mind anything that communicates with a satellite will have a noticeable propagation delay, so real-time communication, such as VoIP or two-way video, is pretty much out of the question. Also absolute top (download), speeds, are only good to about 768k, at a maximun, and from what I understand, they are usually much slower. I have a friend at work who had it, before he could get DSL, and he claims the customer service was about the worst he ever experienced.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit