WHAT do they say about that ?

by RAF 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RAF
    RAF

I've asked my sisters, my mother but none could give me an answer (guess why ?)

Matthew 27:51-54

New World Translation : 51 And, look! the curtain of the sanctuary was rent in two, from top to bottom, and the earth quaked, and the rock-masses were split. 52 And the memorial tombs were opened and many bodies of the holy ones that had fallen asleep were raised up, 53 (and persons, coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people. 54 But the army officer and those with him watching over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things happening, grew very much afraid, saying: “Certainly this was God’s Son.”

That's just right after Jesus died ...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome RAF,

The classic WT "explanation" was... resurrected in The Watchtower 9/1 1990:

‘Many

BodiesoftheHolyOnesWereRaisedUp’

"THE earth quaked, and the rock-masses were split. And the memorial tombs were opened and many bodies of the holy ones that had fallen asleep were raised up, (and persons, coming out from among the memorial tombs after his being raised up, entered into the holy city,) and they became visible to many people." (Matthew 27:51-53) Catholic scholar Karl Staab calls this event that occurred at Jesus’ death "most mysterious." What happened?

Epiphanius and other early Church Fathers taught that the holy ones literally came to life and went with the resurrected Jesus to heaven. Augustine, Theophylactus, and Zigabenus believed that these dead ones received a temporary resurrection but later returned to their tombs. The latter opinion, however, "did not gain wide recognition," comments scholar Erich Fascher. When rendering Matthew 27:52, 53, many modern Bible translations give the impression that a resurrection took place. Not so the NewWorldTranslation, which points to the effects of an earthquake. Why?

First, whoever "the holy ones" were, Matthew did not say they were raised up. He said their bodies, or corpses, were. Second, he did not say these bodies came to life. He said they were raised up, and the Greek verb e·gei´ro, meaning to "raise up," does not always refer to a resurrection. It can, among other things, also mean to "lift out" from a pit or to "get up" from the ground. (Matthew 12:11; 17:7; Luke 1:69) The upheaval at Jesus’ death opened tombs, tossing lifeless bodies into the open. Such occurrences during earthquakes were reported in the second century C.E. by Greek writer Aelius Aristides and more recently, in 1962, in Colombia.

This view of the event harmonizes with Bible teachings. In 1 Corinthians chapter 15, the apostle Paul gives convincing proof of the resurrection, but he completely ignores Matthew 27:52, 53. So do all other Bible writers. (Acts 2:32, 34) The corpses raised up at Jesus’ death could not have come to life in the way Epiphanius thought, for on the third day thereafter, Jesus became "the firstborn from the dead." (Colossians 1:18) Anointed Christians, also called "holy ones," were promised a share in the first resurrection during Christ’s presence, not in the first century.—1 Thessalonians 3:13; 4:14-17.

Most Bible commentators have difficulty explaining verse 53, although several of them suggest that verse 52 describes the opening of tombs by the earthquake and the exposing of newly buried corpses. For example, German scholar Theobald Daechsel gives the following translation: "And tombs opened up, and many corpses of saints laying at rest were lifted up."

Who were those that "entered into the holy city" a considerable time later, namely after Jesus had been resurrected? As seen above, the exposed bodies remained lifeless, so Matthew must refer to persons who visited the tombs and brought news of the event into Jerusalem. Thus, the rendering of the NewWorldTranslation deepens Bible understanding and does not confuse readers concerning the resurrection.

This text of Matthew is clearly a story of immediate resurrection at the moment of Jesus' death, but it gets awkward because the phrase "after his resurrection" was added to harmonise it with the dominant Christian teaching of Jesus as the first to be resurrected three days later. The NWT complicates it further by inventing another subject ("persons") ex nihilo.

Cf. the NRSV for instance:

The tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised. (After his resurrection) they came out of the tombs and entered the holy city and appeared to many.

(Parentheses mine).

• RAF
    RAF

Hi Narkissos

Right ! Thanks for the full info (will send it to my sisters)

An other version :

New American Standard : 51. And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.52. The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;53. and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.54. Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were happening, became very frightened and said, "Truly this was the Son of God!"

The NWT is full of crap to suite the WTBS's doctrine.

• Morocco
    Morocco

Doesn't this imply that the bible writer of matthew believed that the resurrection already happened? Was this to lend credit to the idea that the end was coming in their lifetime? Jesus did say that before they could finish the circuits of the cities that the end would come.

• RAF
    RAF

• RAF
    RAF

I have big troubles posting and editing (it's say's ERROR most of the time when I submit and most of time after trying different things like close like posting an other post on the same thread, reconnect, close the window, reconnect, shutting down - I finally give up LOL) ??? it's weird ! Now I’m trying on mozilla to see if it works better (???) Morocco Well it depend if you believe or not that the bible is God’s Word or not (it seems that you don’t) and then it’s an other story … To analyse the bible like/as a believer to fight wrong beliefs it actually leaded me to realised that it could be the first resurrection of the 144 000 (all Jews : Revelation 7:4) and Peter would be the last one to join them (the only one for who it is obvious and said and can’t find the verses related right now – if anyone know it , please poste it) … and John (neither the other apostles) doesn’t seem to be one of them because of : John 21:20-23 “ Upon turning about Peter saw the disciple whom Jesus used to love following, the one who at the evening meal had also leaned back upon his breast and said: “Lord, who is the one betraying you?” 21 Accordingly, when he caught sight of him, Peter said to Jesus: “Lord, what will this [man do]?” 22 Jesus said to him: “If it is my will for him to remain until I come, of what concern is that to you? You continue following me.” 23 In consequence, this saying went out among the brothers, that that disciple would not die. However, Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but: “If it is my will for him to remain until I come, of what concern is that to you?” 24 This is the disciple that bears witness about these things and that wrote these things, and we know that the witness he gives is true.

• RAF
    RAF

now it's an other problem on mozzila ... no html formating system and editing to put some spaces doesn't work either (???) so I'm sorry because it's hard to read

• RAF
    RAF

any way about Matthew 27:51 ... it have to be sooner after because they where visible in the city (not ours) and to the autor who was still alive anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit