Is there JDubs in greek speking countries?

by Shazard 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shazard
    Shazard

Are there JW in Greece? I mean how do JW there push "this is wrong translation" argument, as everyone in greece knows greek better then anyone else could. Ofcourse koine is not the same as todays greek but anyway, I can't imagine that JW can push their argument about lousy translation of your native language!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

The latest census report published in the service year for 2006 reports 28,047 peak Wt followers in Greece.

How the hell did the WTS convince these guys?

Dunno.

Cheers

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It's quite simple. The WBTS translates their English translation of Koine Greek into Modern Greek. Concerning John 1:1, while Koine Greek doesn't have the indefinite article (for all practical purposes, that is), Modern Greek does. Modern Greek speaking study sees "a god" in the Greek NWT and assumes the translation is accurate. I doubt Modern greeks have Koine Greek New Testaments lying around everywhere, anymore than Modern English speakers have Tyndale's or the Bishop's Bibles.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ancient Greek is only a little closer to modern Greek than Latin is to Italian or French -- to the average speaker it is another language.

Ancient Greek has to be translated into modern Greek, which involves the same kind of problems and solutions as translation in any other language -- isn't there a Greek NWT btw?

Stephanus answered before I asked :)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Some information from a highly reliable source :

http://watchtower.org/e/20021115/article_01.htm

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Some information from a highly reliable source :

Man, that's some learned source!

• TD
    TD

Greece got along for a very long time without a modern translation. Even today, Koine is still used liturgically in the church and most children study the ancient dialects in school.

There is a Greek NWT ---I've got one.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yes, I had some conversations with a Greek brother on pal talk a couple of years ago. We didn't really get into any doctrinal discussions.

BB

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In the early 90s I visited Greece and noticed that there were a variety of bibles being used in the hall for the Old Testament. They had Bible Readings in the New Testament, rather than the portion that we were reading in Britain at the time, because (if I recall correctly) they had only had the New Testament released. It was around that time that the whole NWT was released in Modern Greek, but they had yet to filter out to the rural congregations. Being the Literature Overseer at the time, I ordered a copy and still have it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit