Pheasant, anyone?

by betterdaze 8 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I am in receipt of a fresh pheasant, a gift from a local hunter who shot about 20 of them on Tuesday.

He/she now resides in my freezer. De-feathered, de-headed, and de-gutted, I am assured.

I was a veggie-head for years; only did my 1st turkey back in September. 1st ham in December.

Any ideas how to prepare a wild pheasant? My mainstay, epicurious.com, is slim on gamebirds.

Thanks in advance,

~Sue

• JeffT
    JeffT

Pheasant cooks up like chicken, only better. It can be a bit dry so do something that involves lots of liquid.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I thought it was illegal to shoot peasants.

Oh,Oh, pheasants, pheasants, by bad.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Thanks for responding, JeffT. Do you mean like braising it in a broth?

~Sue

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

pheant is great now I am hungry. Baste it or get one of those oven bags or wrap it in tin foil while baking then uncover for the last few minutes to brown just like chicken

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Little Drummer Boy, the pheasant was a present, not a peasant.

So pleasant to point it out.

~Sue

• BrentR
    BrentR

Wild fowl has little to no fat so it will be very dry as mentioned above. I always baste it with butter and season it with poultry seasoning or just fresh sage. Just last week I BBQ'd some grouse and it was awsome. It's the ultimate organicaly grown poultry. You also have to watch out for the shot that still may be in it. Bitting down on one will break a molar. If you cut it up or tear it after cooking you will see the tracks the shot pellet left so it's fairly easy to spot them.

Enjoy!

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Smoked...

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

searching4truth, just like chicken? Now that sounds easy!

BrentR, I appreciate the head's up about shot left in it — never would have considered that.

rolling rock, smoking is another great idea! Yum.

Thanks for responding.

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit