JW Service a Trap?

by zack 7 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

When I was a child and growing up in the org. surrounded by family who had

been converted in a Communist Country, I always heard stories told with much authority

about the brothers and sisters who were persecuted for their JW Service--- arrrested for carrying WT

literature, arrested for not going into the military, etc.... And all the near-spy-service antics they used in order to

preach. Long into my adulthood I beleived this (government resistance) to be a sign of the religion being the TRUTH. Fast forward to just

3 short years ago when I finally began to Question things after my 2 weeks at Pioneer School. I concluded that JW's

put their lives at risk while being in service NEEDLESSLY. If JW's in the USA are told by the Branch not to go to a door where a NO TRESSPASSING

sign is posted, they certainly shouldn't be going to a distant village where a civil war is being fought. As soon as there

is any kind of resistance to their activities in the USA or other rich countries, the FDS finds a way around it. But those

in poor countries have to go THROUGH it to show their faith to God. Now I know that all those good people just wanting to

live a Christian life were sacrificed without need, for the BIBLE as a book was never banned in the country of which I speak. One could possess it, talk about it,

share it. Often times it was the sole repository of records of births and marriages. It was the LITERATURE published by the WTS that

was banned because the government viewed it as treasonous, seditionist, etc. ALso, the government gave people a choice when

being drafted for military service; not everyone had to go in the Armed Forces. The alternative wasn't a cake walk, but it

would not have compromised Bible principles. But JW's were told they could not accept.

This was just one crack in the ice for me at a time when I

was giving my all to the ORG. I took away many lessons from that Pioneer School and one was: Service to God JW style is a trap.

Zack-------

• Dune
    Dune

Nice Observation.

It seems that the further away from the US (and western world) your congregation is, the more likely you'll become a matyr.

Remember the Mexico & Malawi Fiasco?

Mexican witnesses were allowed to bribe local officials into allowing them to obtain a card that would allow them to be exempt from military training. Malawi witnesses couldnt even get a card that only stated which party they were a part of, this fueled avoidable aggravation towards the witnesses in the area.

I've spoken about this to a couple of witnesses. There arent many western witnesses that will drive to the kingdom hall in an inch of snow, let alone die for the belief.

• Gill
    Gill

You are so right, Zack!!

I remember one particular article in the Watchtower about persecution around the Phillipines area. A load of JWs had been arrested and found guilty of being in a proscribed group. They were all heavily fined. Those who could pay the fine were not put in prison. The JWs who could not pay the fine were put in prison, and mistreated, and the WTBTS were complaining that these JWs had intimate, humiliating examinations to endure etc.

I remember thinking at the time, 'Why the Hell couldn't the WTBTS pay the fines for these poverty stricken JWs?'

In the end whose fault was it that these poor, misguided people had to endure such an horrendous ordeal....the money grabbing, lying, good for nothing, WTBTS!!!

They really do need revealing to be the useless, money mad cult that they are!! It was amongst one of the first articles that ever made my blood boil!!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember in the 1950's a circuit overseer talking about being "cautious as serpents and innocent as doves." He referred to our brothers in foreign lands who were forced to go vote, and read from a WT (from 1950) that said it was OK to go to the polls, you just need to put either an "X" on the ballot or write in the name "Jesus Christ."

Fast forward to the early 1970's: The authorities tried to force the brothers in Cameroon to vote even bringing vehicles to pick them up, and they steadfastly refused to go to the polls, bringing an onslaught of persecution--including men being beaten and women being raped. But oh my...they were faithful!

Fast forward again to the late 1990's. The WT states that voting can be a conscience matter, although this is what a good Christian's conscience will tell you to do...... Several months later our circuit overseer (I heard that this same talk was given all over the country), stated that the WT has not changed their stance on voting. However.....he stated that if the government requires it, you could go to the polls and guess what?.....Either put an "X" on the ballot or write in the name "Jesus Christ." He referred back to that 1950 WT article that was forgotten during the decades in between. He also stated that if your employer requires it, we should go to the elders and ask what to do.

I had that talk on tape. Wish I could find it now. Is anybody confused yet?

Bonnie

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Remember, the small guy always pays the bills.

Outaservice

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It makes me angry that in places where being a JW or evangelizing like JWs do is illegal that they still do it-even when merely speaking to a friend and having a Bible or BEING a christian would NOT get them into trouble. It is the association with the WT society that is the crux of the issue, rather than their devotion to Christ. I could see going to jail for a Bible-but it isn't necessary, if we truly have his word in our 'hearts', really. But going to jail for the priveledge of selling magazines? People actually DO that. Its stupid.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Zack:

You are right. I felt that way back when I believed it was truth (sort of). I wondered how I could "get around it" because I had no intention of endangering myself just for the sake of a religion. I remember feeling angry about it and wondered why god was only happy if there were human sacrifices and dead bodies! I wonder if in some way this is a twisted satanic ploy to just enslave people. When I found out little by little about the deceptions I got angry.

I am so cynical I want nothing to do with any religion because I hate them all. They all start out great and end up oppressing people. The same story is repeated time and again. I think I am cured. In my opinion, the whole thing is a trap.

LHG

• zack
    zack

Thank you all for sharing. The more sincere you were the more life they sucked out of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit