Do j.w.'s use a "prayer book" and recite prayers?

by hubert 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hubert
    hubert

When I went to my father-in-laws funeral last year, my j.w. daughter and son-in-law went up to the casket in the funeral home, knelt there, and "prayed".

As I think back on this, I hear j.w. talk on the forum about how j.w.'s "need to pray more", etc. etc. (according to the Watchtower rules).

How do j.w.'s pray? What do they say? If they don't believe in "repititious prayer", what kind of praying do they do? Do they make up something each time they pray?

Not just for funerals, but anytime they are supposed to pray?

Thanks...

Hubert

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Even though they say they don't believe in repetitious prayers, they still do it.

The Content of their Prayers can be Predicted. They Always sound alike because they always say the same old stuff. I remember drifting off to sleep on numerous occasions during these sessions.

• thebiggestlie
    thebiggestlie

they follow a basic template of what god (wtbts) says is ok to pray for. Many public prayers are basically scripted. On a personal level the Jw can pray about whatever they want....

• spiceant
    spiceant

If it were possible i could be confused for thinking that they memorize prayers, atleast the ones where i am present. All The prayers sound much alike eachother. My prayers are (ofcourse... /sarcasm) much more heartly which results in my ego pushing me away from these particular JW's.

• blondie
    blondie

JWs do not recite prayers or have a prayer book.

You might notice though that newer male JWs tend to copy the prayers of other brothers in the congregation being afraid to make a mistake.

Basic requirements

Pray to God through Jesus

Saying amen at the end

Otherwise the rules are basically unwritten which is why newbies copy older JWs.

Prayers on the last day of a convention tend to be a review of the program (as if God didn't know).

I prefer freestyle prayers myself.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit