renting churches

by Cellist 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

We just played for a wedding that was held in a church. The minister officiating didn't belong to the religion that owned the church. The church was rented and the people being married brought in their own minister. (I'm not even sure that they attended that persons' church or not, they just liked the vows by the sounds of it) The wedding was on New Years Eve (Sunday), so the congregation had their service in the auditorium so they wouldn't mess up the main sanctuary.

Does anyone know if this is common practise? We found it rather surprising. I've always thought of most religions as being rather territorial with their churches. Is this a new trend because of declining membership?

Anyway, Happy New Year!
    Cellist

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

It is very common. Most mainstream churches don't see the church building as much more than a place to worship, some can afford a nicer building than others.

Some churches will bring in extra money by renting out the church to pay for other ministries which is what I wanted to do when my husband pastored a church and we needed money for different things; building repair, outreach food and shelter ministries to the homeless etc.

It has nothing to do with declining membership, in the US churches are growing. We now are working with a new church that rents a Community building where we meet. We pay $400 a month and are saving for our own building. The church is growing fast we are reaching capacity, and the childrens ministry is held in a trailer that is now full.

• JeffT
    JeffT

We go to a very large church which rents out the building for all sorts of things, we have a large facility that is usefull for all kinds of things. It is (I think) a good source of income when the building isn't in use. Our membership is growing.

The local fire dept likes to unroll their hoses in the parking lot, it's the only place in town where they can do it without blocking traffic.

• Cellist
    Cellist

That's very interesting. I don't know how the membership of this particular church is doing, but I know that one of the older mainstream churches in town folded this year and another is holding on by a very thin thread.

I think it's a very good idea, actually. We were just surprised.

Cellist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit