JW roommate's neice wants to give her JW friend a bridal shower

by oppgirl63 4 Replies latest jw friends

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

My JW roommate's sister (not JW) called her yesterday to ask her if it was okay for her daughter to give her friend who is a JW a bridal shower. My roommate said that it would be fine as long is it was in good taste. I was wondering if it would really be okay since they are not JW's.

• blondie
    blondie

If it is an immediate non-JW relative giving the shower, I have seen that done but they will have to adhere to the JW rules on showers.

1) no announcing publicly the names of the gift givers and no passing around the gift with the card in it. There is usually a friend of the bride-to-be who writes down the gift and who gave it on a list and keeps the card.

2) no sexy gifts

3) JWs might not come if people will be smoking at the event--no it will likely be no smoking

4) no prayers

5) some JWs may not come because of social association with non-JWs

6) no swearing

Blondie

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

They are not related...just friends. Both of these young women are somewhat learning disabled. I took my roommate down to Florida so she could spend some time with her sister and I was there when my roommates sister was talking about it. Seems that the boy that the JW girl wanted to marry was not a JW but now he is studying so they are going to allow her to get married.

• blondie
    blondie

It varies because it is one of those "unwritten" rules, but the JW principle that will prevail is association with non-JWs on a social level. Some JWs might make an exception if it is a close relative. If a JW were giving it and invitied a few non-JWs that makes JWs more comfortable. If the friend gives a shower and only invites non-JW friends and relatives to this JW girl's shower, it might work.

*** km 6/89 pp. 1-2 Enjoying Theocratic Association ***

WHOLESOME ASSOCIATION

One cannot walk with God while running in association with those of the wicked and sick society that approves of everything that God abhors. The Bible warns: "Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Cor. 15:33) Some in the congregation may be inclined to invite worldly acquaintances and unbelieving relatives who have no interest in the truth to social gatherings, thinking that this will encourage them to accept the truth. However, is this wise and in harmony with the Scriptures?

We have been counseled to be cautious in our dealings with men of the nations, unbelievers, and ordinary persons. (See the November 15, 1988, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 15-16.) Why should we have unnecessary social contact with people who still pursue worldly ways and who have not become worshipers of Jehovah? (2 Cor. 6:14, 15) Some who are negligent spiritually may seek out others who also hold on to worldly thinking and ways instead of seeking association with mature Christians who could help them become strong in the faith. They fail to appreciate that attendance at social gatherings with worldly, unprincipled people can weaken their faith and corrupt them.—Compare 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15.
  • mimimimi
    mimimimi

I have been at JW showers where sexy nighties were given and there was sexual talk and joking going on. My mother and sister, who were in a different cong., went to a shower once where there was a lot of sexual joking going on and the people involved got called on the carpet for it by the elders. I really think what they can get away with depends on the particular congregation they are in. Some congregations are more liberal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit