Going to Church

by PrimateDave 1 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Well, I made some new friends recently, a nice family that lives a couple of blocks away. The husband and I have hit it off like we've known each other all along. Then, he asked what my religious affiliation is. So, I went into my life story. I was born in a Witness family, third generation. I explained how most of the family are still Witnesses, except for my brother and his wife. I told him about my nagging doubts about the kind of religion that the Watchtower Society promotes. I told him about the book I read, Crisis of Conscience, by Ray Franz, that turned my thinking around.

It turns out that he goes to a Pentecostal Church. He, too, went on a spiritual journey in his younger days, even studying with the Witnesses at one time. I didn't go into a full explanation with him about my belief that the Bible is a man-made book. But I expressed my belief that one can enjoy a spiritual connection regardless of one's religion.

To make a long story short, I accepted his invitation to go to his Church with him next Sunday. So, are there any Pentecostals here on the forum?

Dave

• Satanus
    Satanus

I went there for about 2 yrs after leaving the wt. It was fun, all the singing and dancing, expecting miracles or something strange to happen. When i stopped believing the book, i stopped going. It is a positive atmosphere, where you might be able to have a good time. Maybe it's a church that skims all the positives out of christianity and uses those.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit