JW's and Humor

by RR 5 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

Many onliners are already aware of the odd difference between JWs and Mormons in the area of humor. While 78% of Mormons have an active sense of humor, only 27.8% of JW have a responsive sense of humor. There's been some research and testing at the esteemed Clown College of Los Angeles, CA to determine if the JWs simply have repressed,
    dormant, senses of humor, or whether their sense of humor has suffered a permanent paralysis. Testing is also being done on the water used by JWs in their baptismal pools to determine whether a humor repressing/killing agent is introduced in the waters. Some anecdotal evidence exists to indicate that people with healthy senses of humor seemed to suffer paralysis of their laugh track just after their baptismal experience.

Other research being done at The University of Laughology of Queens, NY is attempting to quantify, through testing and research, whether the JW religion simply appeals to people with a damaged sense of humor.

And finally, there are several non-profit, evangelical organizations working hard in a humanitarian effort to revive long-dormant senses of humor in the JW community. Daily massages of their humor are being administered, free of charge in most cases, by tireless workers. Other workers, like guide dogs for the blind, are tirelessly helping those with paralysed laugh tracks to recognize humor.

Donations to the Witnesses Humor Organization for Revitalization, Enthusiasm and Sport are welcome, via a special arrangement set up in concert with the international plumbers and piperfitters union. Simply lay your cash donation on the surface of the water on the toilet bowl and flush three times. You'll recieve your reciept within 24 hours. If it's not seen on the surface of the water, reach in just beyond the bend and you'll find it there.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi RR,

Very clever. I'll have to work at restoring my sense of humor!

It's good to hear from you again!

Pat

• TR
    TR

What. I ain't get it.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Farkel
    Farkel

RR,

How appropriate! Before you I read your funny comments, I made a very similiar observation in another thread.

: Donations to the Witnesses Humor Organization for Revitalization, Enthusiasm and Sport are welcome,

Witnesses Humor Organization for Revitalization, Enthusiasm and Sport

I saw that, you sly devil, you!

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Teirce
    Teirce

hehe.

Humor, comedy, jokes, et al are juxtapositions of non-opposite dissimilars. Ie, not an oxymoronic doublethink, which Witnesses Have to learn how to do to remain Witnesses, but rather snapshots of irony, absurdity and impossibility. For a Witness to cultivate or be in possession of such qualities and distinguishing abilities runs them the risk of seeing the inherent contradictions in the WTS. In short, the ability to get any joke of developed wit makes it precariously easy to get the joke of the WTS itself. People who finally get this joke eventually stop being spun in circles by its ironies.

Someone said recently that John Cleese used to be a Witness, and it opened up new appreciation for his style and finesse in Python. Ministry of Silly Walks, my laughing ass!

• RR
    RR

Farkel

I saw that, you sly devil, you!

busted!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit