Since when are JW's "Christian"?

by onlycurious 2 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I remember when it was "Christendom" and Christians were a dirty word.

Now the WT is touting that they are "Christian"? When did this happen and why?

Was it a planned event, a strategy of sorts?

I remember running in the house, shutting all the blinds and curtains and crouching in the corner when the witnesses were on my street.

I was raised knowing this was a cult even though I wasn't even raised in a very Christian home or anything. JW's were pesty people that put their foot in the door if you opened it and declined their invitation for a home study. At least that is the feeling my mom gave us. We were NOT to open the door or even make a peep. It seemed like forever before they would leave.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

The Witnesses have called themselves 'Christians' for decades. A lot of mainstream Christians would disagree with that label, because the Witnesses don't accept the divinity of Jesus (at least not fully), and most of them don't take communion. However, the Witnesses are a break-away sect of Adventism; they accept the Christian (Protestant) Bible and believe that salvation is through Jesus Christ, whom they believe is the Son of God. So I think they can reasonably call themselves Christian, although I can understand why more mainstream Christians want no part of them.

• undercover
    undercover

I think there's a bait and switch going on when it comes to JWs and the term "Christian".

According to the WTS, the "Christian congregation" is made up only of the anointed, or the 144,000. All other JWs, or the "other sheep" are "companions" to the "true Christians".

So, if the average JW is not in the "Christian congregation" are they Christians?

I've recently started to look at the publications a little closer to see how they use the term "Christian" and if it's ever crystal clear that the non-anointed JW is called or considered a Christian. I've not done extensive research as it's hard to read that slop anymore, but what little I've looked at I've noticed that it appears that the WTS is being duplicitous in how they use the word and who they describe as Christians.

Maybe one of our more esteemed researchers can shed a little more light on the subject...(hint hint)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit