"celebrate" christmas ?

by A Paduan 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

In another thread the question was put forward "what does it mean to celebrate christmas"

---------------------------------------------

I posted essentially this but recevied no further input - so my question is am I right - does it really boil down to decorations ?

As far as I can tell decorations, a tree, wrapping paper and presents on christmas morning are what really separates others and jws, because other aspects of the holiday don't really seem different:

• Having the day off and whooping it up in the pool with friends over, and drinking / eating etc. is ok
    • Giving presents on the day before or after is ok
    • Having a holiday with everyone else is ok

It seems to be isolated to decorations, oh and of course your exclusivist attitude "heart condition" .

• A-Team
    A-Team

In Dub terms, even if you don't open presents, deck the halls, or other tradtional Christmas doings, BUT Honor/Worship Jesus on this holiday......you are deemed Celebrating Christmas.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

The decorations is all a matter of culture and tradition. The true meaning of the holiday is the birth of Christ and God sending His Son.

It's a tough one to figure out though because I find myself having to constantly remind my children what the REAL reason for Christmas is while I am in the midst of buying massive gifts and running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

I've personally scaled WAY back on all this. We didn't even put up a tree this year. I put out a few things around the house to make it more festive but never got a tree. Partly because our apt is sooooo small and now we have 4 kids in here. yikes....it's crowded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit