Church of the Nazarene?

by Junction-Guy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Are there any XJW's here who are Nazarene? My brother Darin now attends a Nazarene Church. I have been to a couple of their services.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm not an ex-JW, but I've attended a Nazarene church. Very nice people. They lean along the protestant-evangelical angle.

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

Never head of them! Are they "normal" Christians? Or are they cult-like? justahuman - but super nonetheless

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wouldn't characterize them as cult-like. You can come and go as you please. They'd give a JW a run for their money in bible knowledge.

http://www.nazarene.org/ministries/administration/visitorcenter/history/display.aspx

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The Nazarene Church is normal, rest assured they arent a cult. They remind me of Southern Baptists, mostly contemporary style of worship, in other words they are just like most churches in this country.

• carla
    carla

Some have labeled them the 'church of the do not's'. Ended up on a board similar to this one and some who grew up in it had similar complaints as many of you regarding not being able to do normal kids stuff, control, etc.... Leaving is not that simple either, according to the board I was on. Sounds cultish to me.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

My husband and I went to the Church of the Nazarene here for a few months when he first stopped going to meetings. We really liked the people, they were very nice. They also had a huge band and choir including someone who had been in Elvis Presley's band.

We just found we did not agree with their doctrines. They said no drinking ever and no dancing unless your married. I thought the no drinking thing was wierd since Jesus turned water into wine...etc. They could never answer that to my satisfaction.

They do a lot for the community and encourage volunteerism - there were alot of AA and NA meetings held at the church. They also have their own college a in/outside of Boston - Eastern Nazarene College.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

They also hav a college in Nashville Tn, Traveca Nazerine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit