Oh the innocence of a child

by nonamegiven 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

Last night I came home from work and my kids were over someones house from our congregation. When they brought them home the family came in. Of course no body talked to me since I'm DF'd and am not worth the oxygen to talk to. The little (8-year old ?) girl went around telling people a few knock-knock jokes that she thought were just hillarious. Well, then she came up to me and said "knock knock" so of course I went along with it and she told me the joke. There was an erie silence in the room as her mom looked at her I'm sure thinking of how she will correct her for talking to me. I thought it was great! Not only did I actually get treated like a human but I hope the fact that this little girl did what comes natural, i.e. talking to me, this will show them how unnatural this whole shunning crap is.

• jgnat
    jgnat

OH, when I first read it, I thought it was your own daughter. But it was a visitor, right? Sweet!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Shortly after I was df'd I attended a couple of meetings just to see some friendly faces. After the meeting I sat outside and several children came to talk and play with me until their parents noticed and came to fetch them. That was both funny and heartbreaking.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

It's beautiful that children at least at one point in their life see no gender, they see no race, colour, religion, and sexual orientation. They do not even acknowledge disability as being anything other than different. Its only when they spend time with their parents do they become a product of their environment.

Larkin was right after all when he said:-

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself.

DB74

• Rebirth
    Rebirth

You've given me a new topic for my next blog entry. Thanks!

I work with children and I see this all the time, especially in the 3-6 yr old range. That is my favorite age group BTW. They are old enough to reason but young enough to not have been influenced by the nasty undercurrents of our whole society. They speak from the hip and the heart and we are okay with that. Their honesty and candor reminds us of what is truly important.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry for the shunning you received from the adults. :-(

• uriah
    uriah

What was the joke?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I hope the fact that this little girl did what comes natural, i.e. talking to me, this will show them how unnatural this whole shunning crap is.

If anything, it can show her how unnatural shunning is.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Reminds me of that bit from South Pacific:

You’ve got to be taught to hate and fear,
    You’ve got to be taught from year to year,
    It’s got to be drummed in your dear little ear—
    You’ve got to be carefully taught

That song nearly makes me cry just thinking about it.

More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You've_Got_to_Be_Carefully_Taught

Dave

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

Uriah, here it is.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

We

We who?

Why are you so happy?

Share this

Google+