Is religion the cause of war?

by tdogg 2 Replies latest jw friends

• tdogg
    tdogg

I have had this discussion with many people but I would like to know what the xjw has to say, since we were told this so many times at church.

I am of the opinion that most wars are not really fought due to religion but rather, economics. Religion of course is the excuse leaders will use, but if look behind the facade there is always some economic motovation.

• Teirce
    Teirce

Wars are faught for political and economic resources, and cause religion, because the victor has written history since the first battles between equally superstitious primitive peoples. Since war causes religion, religion does not cause war. But religion is used to ignite the people to sustain the battle for political and economic resource. Without "divinity" religion, leaders would use secular nationalism to get the same effect. Wiping out religion will not wipe out war, because religion is not the cause of war. The WTS uses religion for control of political and economic resources, so does the Taliban, so did the Inquisition, so does the IRA, so does the PLO. Hitler used a secular substitute and look at the greater, more carnal, more nihilistic damage. Wiping out religion would leave nihilistic nationalism. Religions, left to their own devices, do not cause strife (they all have the same principle commandments), but are convenient fault lines for politics.

• blondie
    blondie

Not the cause but an accelerant...like gasoline on an already burning fire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit